Guess the weight

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70 Mach 1 base engine is the 351-2v, vs the base 302-2V for the 71 Mach.

73 AMA specs attached.

Online it estimates the 302W and 351W weight difference is about 50lbs, so unless a 1971 351W car had some beefier componentry elsewhere on the car, then that would still seem to indicate a 1971 Mach 1 is lighter than a 1970 Mach1.

Online it estimates the 302W and 351W weight difference is about 50lbs, so unless a 1971 351W car had some beefier componentry elsewhere on the car, then that would still seem to indicate a 1971 Mach 1 is lighter than a 1970 Mach1.

You're not comparing apples to apples, as the two cars had vastly different standard equipment.

70 Mach 1 base is 351W or 351C 2V, FMX iron case auto, 9" rear, fiberglass hood scoop, Deluxe interior with console - for 3351 lbs.

71 Mach base is 302-2V, C4 auto, 8" rear, base interior with no console and a flat hood at 3172 lbs. Add the 163lbs for the 351-2V to a '71 and you're getting not only a heavier engine, but an iron case FMX, bigger radiator, scooped hood and a 9" rear. Now add console (12 lbs) and Decor Group (15 lbs) to even the option load - which puts you at 3362.

That's the point of the entire post is that these cars were not the "porkers" that they were portrayed as.

1701779431638.png

You're not comparing apples to apples, as the two cars had vastly different standard equipment.

70 Mach 1 base is 351W or 351C 2V, FMX iron case auto, 9" rear, fiberglass hood scoop, Deluxe interior with console - for 3351 lbs.

71 Mach base is 302-2V, C4 auto, 8" rear, base interior with no console and a flat hood at 3172 lbs. Add the 163lbs for the 351-2V to a '71 and you're getting not only a heavier engine, but an iron case FMX, bigger radiator, scooped hood and a 9" rear. Now add console (12 lbs) and Decor Group (15 lbs) to even the option load - which puts you at 3362.

That's the point of the entire post is that these cars were not the "porkers" that they were portrayed as.

View attachment 83546
Exactly
I have always heard how they were perceived as too big and too heavy.
It being a little longer and wider makes it a better riding car.

Wow! This is great information. First Ford publication I have seen with HP and torque ratings for 73s plus a ton of other very detailed information.

Thank you much !!

This is the thing about how the reviews at the time blew it all out of proportion, thinking the car was heavy, because it looked "long". A pretty common critical quote was "and a couple hundred pounds more than the '70 model year". Fact is, the base models were within 40lbs with the same equipment, but the 71 was a much safer car with it's impact beams in the doors, wider stance and revised front suspension geometry.

Screenshots from the weights sections of the AMA specs manuals, full PDF documents attached for those interested.

1970 AMA specs

View attachment 83515

1971 AMA specs

View attachment 83516
Thanks HK. Interesting data, and I would have guessed the factory ragtops would be lighter without knowing all the undercarriage supports/torque box differences to stiffen them up without the hardtop before aftermarket SF connectors were added. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My convertible with a 429, iron heads, aluminum intake, headers, and a toploader, is 3855 lbs. I don’t recall how much fuel was in it but probably at least half a tank if not more. Converts are heavier,

I don't know why mine was so heavy. This is with an aluminum manifold, aluminum radiator, headers, fat aluminum wheels and lighter Sanden compressor. I probably had 50 lbs of crap in the trunk plus spare. I don't remember the fuel load, but that still makes it about 700 pounds heavier at 3,850 lbs!

Weigh scale car only.jpg

I don't know why mine was so heavy. This is with an aluminum manifold, aluminum radiator, headers, fat aluminum wheels and lighter Sanden compressor. I probably had 50 lbs of crap in the trunk plus spare. I don't remember the fuel load, but that still makes it about 700 pounds heavier at 3,850 lbs!

View attachment 83786
I have no idea how your car could weigh that much. Try using another corner weight system. Chuck

Close 3380
This to me seems to be a pretty light car for a car that supposedly is consider an over size hefer.
Well, consider they came out only 6 years after the first Mustang that started off about 2500lbs for six and maybe got to 3100 for an well optioned V8.

In 70, an Opel GT was 2100lbs with 90+ hp. It was just as fast as my 70 Mustang fastback 2v 302.
And you really feel that weight.

This was from the same people that dyno my car. I may have to find a scale somewhere to at least get another total weight reading.
Tony get to a CERTIFIED truck scale. My printout weight (3540) posted above was guaranteed to +/- 15 lbs by the scale operators.

Back