Guess the weight

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine scales at 3620, but it's all iron except for the intake. I estimate the subframe connectors add 60-80lbs. I do have a full size spare, factory jack and lug wrench, plus some folding chairs.

Last edited:
Close 3380
This to me seems to be a pretty light car for a car that supposedly is consider an over size hefer.

This is the thing about how the reviews at the time blew it all out of proportion, thinking the car was heavy, because it looked "long". A pretty common critical quote was "and a couple hundred pounds more than the '70 model year". Fact is, the base models were within 40lbs with the same equipment, but the 71 was a much safer car with it's impact beams in the doors, wider stance and revised front suspension geometry.

Screenshots from the weights sections of the AMA specs manuals, full PDF documents attached for those interested.

1970 AMA specs

1701701391327.png

1971 AMA specs

1701701424446.png

Attachments

• 1970_FORD_MUSTANG_ama_specs.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1971_FORD_MUSTANG_ama specs.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
This is the thing about how the reviews at the time blew it all out of proportion, thinking the car was heavy, because it looked "long". A pretty common critical quote was "and a couple hundred pounds more than the '70 model year". Fact is, the base models were within 40lbs with the same equipment, but the 71 was a much safer car with it's impact beams in the doors, wider stance and revised front suspension geometry.

Screenshots from the weights sections of the AMA specs manuals, full PDF documents attached for those interested.

1970 AMA specs

View attachment 83515

1971 AMA specs

View attachment 83516
Looks like the 71 is actually lighter than the 70 🤷🏻‍♂️

1970 AMA specs

View attachment 83515

1971 AMA specs

View attachment 83516
A ton of very interesting tech/specs in your attachments. 👍

My 73 Cougar, presumably the heaviest version of this chassis is 3700. 351H, alum intake, Fmx.
The real world weights always seem higher than the Ford numbers.

1970 AMA specs

View attachment 83515

1971 AMA specs

View attachment 83516
I agree 100% that our cars are safer. They also had an actual fuel tank and power steering that did not suck.

Is the weight information also available for 73s? I think some options add noticeable weight such as AC, Sport Deck rear seat (fold down). Any charts detailing the added weight of options?

So, a 1971 Mach 1 is 179 pounds lighter than a 1970 Mach 1 ?

Am I reading that right?

70 Mach 1 base engine is the 351-2v, vs the base 302-2V for the 71 Mach.

Is the weight information also available for 73s? I think some options add noticeable weight such as AC, Sport Deck rear seat (fold down). Any charts detailing the added weight of options?

73 AMA specs attached.

Attachments

• 1973_Ford_Mustang_AMA_Specs_1-42.pdf
    9.1 MB · Views: 0
Back