Harbor Freight jack stand recall issued

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am shocked. No, not really. Harbor freight sucks. I never buy their products. Why: China.
Trouble is, a lot of stuff comes from China.

Since I'd like to buy a new set, with better quality, I'm trying to find jack stands made in the US and they are in short supply or really expensive. I dont mind paying more since I really dont want the car to fall on me when I'm under it.

I have seen some jack stands that have an extra pin that is inserted to keep the ratchet from moviing, so they look safer.
I understand it is very difficult to avoid Chinese made anything these days. I personally have many older tools from the days when you could buy American. I would rather buy old American made jack stands from someone than buy some of the dangerous junk that is out there. I am just glad no-one including yourself has gotten hurt or killed. There is a lot of used stuff out there. 

Best, Ron

FWIW - my HF jack stands are NOT part of the lot listed under the recall.

Doesn't mean I'm going to be any less careful when using them, of course, but at least they're not the ones being recalled.   :cool:

I haven't had any issues with mine putting the Mustang up, but I think I'll be looking into replacing them anyway, because: Harbor Freight.

I'm going to be need taller ones anyway since I'll be needing to put my Jeep up on 'em now and then - it's got a little farther to fall than Frank does. ;)
You need to just go ahead and put in a lift or if you do not have enough ceiling height go with a pit in the floor with a cover when not in use. I use my 2 post lift when I am just wiping the car down saves my acing neck and back. 

I looked at the stands I have and not HF but also cheap ones. I did notice I have never bent the tabs over on the side that they say to bend.
Not everybody lives in the boonies and has a giant building for their garage with enough space for their toys and to become the next Booster King - nor, I'm sure, would everybody want to (Me, for one - the Carolinas are pretty and nice to visit... but they're all yours).  Some (most) of us have 1-, 2- or 3-car garages attached to our homes with 9-foot average ceilings.  Sure, I suppose I could raise the ceiling, but doing that with enough clearance for a vehicle on a lift under a pitched roof turns my 2-car garage into a 1-slot shop (I suppose I could stuff 2 cars in if I stack 'em, but why would I want to?).  Being 6'5", raising the ceiling a couple feet just won't cut it - that lift needs to run up to full height sometimes... and with a 6-tall Jeep or Ram pick-up on top of it, there's 12 feet right there.  I'd wager the peak on the roof over my garage isn't even 16 feet - not enough room for a lift to run up to full height, defeating the purpose.  Digging a pit in a 22x24 two-car garage space in a residential area is also one of the single most 'not smart' ideas I've heard in a LONG time.

Besides, I have the Auto Hobby Shop on the base pretty much whenever I need it - which makes me more fortunate than most because I actually DO have a lift at my disposal.

Geez - I just mentioned needing a new set of jack stands (just like most others on this thread), and now the 'sage advice' is saying I need a lift or a pit in my residential 2-car garage.

Wow.  Talk about 'out of touch.'
There is a natural progression. I changed rear end in middle of road with two bumper jacks as a teenager. Then got me a set of ramps, then jack stands. Then Dad felt sorry for me because I broke so many transmissions he dug the pit in the garage. Could change a transmission in under an hour by myself and no jacks or stands. Buil a pole barn and gather a few cars.

Then you get married , engineering job and kids and no need for a garage except to change the oil no way you going to build a car. No time and no money.

Then wife and kids gone and you can do what you want when you want. So why not have a lift when you cannot bend over anymore, lol. 

I use the jack stands to just get the tires off the floor now days. Not going to fall on me no matter what. Heck I used more concrete blocks for jack stands than I have jack stands. 

Oh by the way I do not live in the Bonnies. I live in what is usually in the top ten paces to retire in the U.S.A. You can buy the land across the road from me for $35,000 an acre if you buy 30 acres. I have over 3,500 cars a day pass my home according to DOT last survey. Wish I did live in the Boonies every time I use to shoot guns sheriff would show up but I had a range and they could not say anything. He would just say we had a shots fired call and have to come look. He would tell me I was good and want to look at the rifles.

I probably have less in all my cars than you guys do in one. I never had any money if China had not paid for my garage and several cars I would not have them.

Oh BTW what does you digging a pit in your garage have anything to do with your neighbors or community. Do they not allow basements?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to just go ahead and put in a lift or if you do not have enough ceiling height go with a pit in the floor with a cover when not in use. I use my 2 post lift when I am just wiping the car down saves my acing neck and back. 

I looked at the stands I have and not HF but also cheap ones. I did notice I have never bent the tabs over on the side that they say to bend.
Not everybody lives in the boonies and has a giant building for their garage with enough space for their toys and to become the next Booster King - nor, I'm sure, would everybody want to (Me, for one - the Carolinas are pretty and nice to visit... but they're all yours).  Some (most) of us have 1-, 2- or 3-car garages attached to our homes with 9-foot average ceilings.  Sure, I suppose I could raise the ceiling, but doing that with enough clearance for a vehicle on a lift under a pitched roof turns my 2-car garage into a 1-slot shop (I suppose I could stuff 2 cars in if I stack 'em, but why would I want to?).  Being 6'5", raising the ceiling a couple feet just won't cut it - that lift needs to run up to full height sometimes... and with a 6-tall Jeep or Ram pick-up on top of it, there's 12 feet right there.  I'd wager the peak on the roof over my garage isn't even 16 feet - not enough room for a lift to run up to full height, defeating the purpose.  Digging a pit in a 22x24 two-car garage space in a residential area is also one of the single most 'not smart' ideas I've heard in a LONG time.

Besides, I have the Auto Hobby Shop on the base pretty much whenever I need it - which makes me more fortunate than most because I actually DO have a lift at my disposal.

Geez - I just mentioned needing a new set of jack stands (just like most others on this thread), and now the 'sage advice' is saying I need a lift or a pit in my residential 2-car garage.

Wow.  Talk about 'out of touch.'
There is a natural progression. I changed rear end in middle of road with two bumper jacks as a teenager. Then got me a set of ramps, then jack stands. Then Dad felt sorry for me because I broke so many transmissions he dug the pit in the garage. Could change a transmission in under an hour by myself and no jacks or stands. Buil a pole barn and gather a few cars.

Then you get married , engineering job and kids and no need for a garage except to change the oil no way you going to build a car. No time and no money.

Then wife and kids gone and you can do what you want when you want. So why not have a lift when you cannot bend over anymore, lol. 

I use the jack stands to just get the tires off the floor now days. Not going to fall on me no matter what. Heck I used more concrete blocks for jack stands than I have jack stands. 

Oh by the way I do not live in the Boonies. I live in what is usually in the top ten paces to retire in the U.S.A. You can buy the land across the road from me for $35,000 an acre if you buy 30 acres. I have over 3,500 cars a day pass my home according to DOT last survey. Wish I did live in the Boonies every time I use to shoot guns sheriff would show up but I had a range and they could not say anything. He would just say we had a shots fired call and have to come look. He would tell me I was good and want to look at the rifles.

I probably have less in all my cars than you guys do in one. I never had any money if China had not paid for my garage and several cars I would not have them.

Oh BTW what does you digging a pit in your garage have anything to do with your neighbors or community. Do they not allow basements?
I meant 'Boonies,' in comparison to "the 'burbs."  You have acreage and actual 'woods.'  I have a quarter acre lot in a neighborhood.  That's the difference.

Basements are just not done in West Texas - slab foundations are the rule, not the exception.  There's this stuff called 'caliche,' and it's basically a layer of natural cement under about 6-8" of top soil (which is also crap out here in the West Texas desert wasteland).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliche

Caliche is some seriously weird stuff.  It's naturally occurring in a variety of thicknesses from a few inches to many feet - I have the 20" thick kind under my yard.  When it's extracted, they use it for all kinds of things.  When they build roads with it, the stuff is rock hard when dry, and turns to liquid snail snot when it gets wet - then looks like you drove through a cement mixer if it has a chance to dry on your vehicle.  It is not an easy thing digging holes around here.

That, and I don't want a pit in my 2-car garage - never have wanted one, never will.

And, it's called natural selection when the supports fail and a gene or two are taken out of service.
They missed now I am too old and cannot do the work. Hey man I have jumped the highest bunji jump in the world 4 times. I took out the power lines at airport parachuting. I am a dumb ass but very lucky, lol.

I hear you about age and not being able to do the things the mind still wants to. I come up with cool ideas, but then say to myself, "What the bleep are you thinking about?" One that I really wanted to do, and think it is doable, is to stick the front suspension from a 2015+ Mustang under the front of my '71. Easy to then convert the MacPherson strut to a coil over.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-front-suspension--28825?pid=290706#pid290706

I hear you about age and not being able to do the things the mind still wants to. I come up with cool ideas, but then say to myself, "What the bleep are you thinking about?" One that I really wanted to do, and think it is doable, is to stick the front suspension from a 2015+ Mustang under the front of my '71. Easy to then convert the MacPherson strut to a coil over.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-front-suspension--28825?pid=290706#pid290706
Don,

Most things can be done given enough time, effort, and money. It doesn't mean it should be done. ;) Chuck

I can't disagree with that, but to me some things just beg to be done. In this case it's almost like it would be a drop-in. And it would eliminate two of the big problems with 71-73 suspensions, and that is the way the strut connects to the cross member and the solid connection to the lower control arm, which twists the LCA as it moves up and down. And, it would be a lot cheaper than most aftermarket front suspensions and coilovers that connect to the LCA. I'm not impressed with the design (or cost) of most aftermarket suspensions.

I just bought a HF Daytona 3 ton low profile, long reach jack...I hope they are GTG...it had great reviews all over the interwebs.

I just bought a HF Daytona 3 ton low profile, long reach jack...I hope they are GTG...it had great reviews all over the interwebs.
I have a silver & blue aluminum Pittsburgh 3 ton low profile floor jack - works like a champ.  I might need the long reach version for my Jeep at some point in the future, though.

Back