'73 Ford Ranchero 500 351C 5.8L 2B V8 HARMONIC BALANCER BROKE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terriquez

Reaction score
My Car
'73 ford ranchero 500
My Harmonic Balancer Broke When I Was Driving One Day And I was Able To Drive It Home But Once I Got It To My House It Hasn't Worked Since. Can anyone Please Help Me

Can you be more specific regarding the help you need? There are lots of helpers here, we just need to know the specific help you need.
I can't get my car to start. I have charged the battery but I don't know what is wrong. Ever since my harmonic balancer broke it hasn't started since

OK, let's start with the basics. I assume you have replaced the defective balancer?

Does the car crank over with the starter, and not run, or does it not crank over at all?

If it cranks but won't run, you need to check for fuel and spark.

If it won't crank at all, then that's more in depth.

Can you post pictures of the how it broke? The pulleys are connected to the balancer.

Could be that it broke and the alternator belt was no longer charging the battery.
Could also be that the water pump was not getting spun and you overheated the engine.
Could also be that a part of the balancer or pulley broke off and damaged the fan or radiator, again possibly overheating the engine.

We need pictures.

Honestyly it doesn't even sound like it wants to crank over but now it looks like ts backfiring out the carburetor

My first thought is to determine what caused the balancer to fail, could be bigger problem than just a failure. Assuming your balancer separated and you replaced it, but now it’s slow or hard to crank and backfires, I would check your valve timing. The timing chain may be the problem especially if its the original one with the nylon cam gear. If your valve timing is correct, pull the spark plugs out and check to see if the engine cranks over freely.

From my experience last year when my FT cam wiped out it took out the damper from our theory. It seems illogical that the damper separation would have washed out the cam lobe. As HK asked, we need to imagine you replaced it and reset your timing. Here’s a pic of what it looked like when it let loose. Also, when you say you can’t tell if it’s cranking but backfires through the carb, that doesn’t square up either.
Doing a short video as CC suggests would be helpful. 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back