Headers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I am doing a mild engine job on my 71 Mach 1, 351C 4BL. was wanting some input from the masses here on Headers. What have you done with installing headers? Pros and cons? Good and Bad? I have heard heat is a problem. Best to go the ceramic direction? or insulate the floor and wall? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I went with Headman uncoated headers. Then had my local shop do Cerakote on the outside of the headers in flat black and spray the inside with insulkote. I also insulated the floors and firewall before installing the new carpets. They do not get hot now. Here is a pic after I had them coated. They have been on about a year now and look exactly the same.

Headers.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing a mild engine job on my 71 Mach 1, 351C 4BL. was wanting some input from the masses here on Headers. What have you done with installing headers? Pros and cons? Good and Bad? I have heard heat is a problem. Best to go the ceramic direction? or insulate the floor and wall? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'll also put in a vote for the FPA (Ford Performance Applications) Headers.

Mike posted a pic of his in the one color of ceramic whereas I selected "restoration gray ice" as my colour of choice."

They are beautifully made right here in the U.S.A.

restoration gray ice.jpg

20150219_084643.jpg

20150219_084750.jpg

carb and headers.jpg

20150724_164912.jpg

Automatic or manual transmission?

If its automatic these OBX stainless headers will work well. I bought a set and thought they were really great quality.

But! My car was a 4-speed with the original z-bar and they needed modification. Even after the mods I think they are great for the quality and the fact that they are stainless.

They jumped up in price for some reason. A year ago they were $100 cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Headers-For-70-74-Ford-Mustang-351-Cleveland-4V-/172167980152?hash=item281602e478:g:y7UAAOSwkx5XECkN&vxp=mtr

IMG_2743_zpsoddazhcs.jpg

IMG_2745_zpsg60vs0sr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back