Headliner trim side panel retention without removing rear window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwbeyer

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mach 1
I responded to an earlier thread (which I can't find now) that I found a way to retain the tops of the headliner trim side panels without removing the rear window.

A long time ago, I had done the whole works, replacing the headliner and putting new material on the side panels. I removed the rear window, as required to do the job right.

After a month or two, the spray adhesive I used to attach the new material to the side panels, started letting go. I had to cut the the material loose from the rear window weatherstrip to reattach the material to the side panels. Upon reinstallation, of course, the tops of the panels would not stay in place. They have remained hanging loose for many years as I could not work up the desire to go through the rear window removal and reinstallation all over again.

Upon cleaning up the car for the annual Vinton Cruise, it dawned on me that a simple plastic strip, tucked into the weatherstrip, might be all it takes to hold the side panels in place. I ended up using 1/16" thick black plastic strips, 3/4" wide and 21" long. Tucking them into the weatherstrip is kind of a wrestling match, but really only took about 5 minutes per side. I am very pleased with the results:

2vnibzn.jpg
[/img]

I responded to an earlier thread (which I can't find now) that I found a way to retain the tops of the headliner trim side panels without removing the rear window.

A long time ago, I had done the whole works, replacing the headliner and putting new material on the side panels. I removed the rear window, as required to do the job right.

After a month or two, the spray adhesive I used to attach the new material to the side panels, started letting go. I had to cut the the material loose from the rear window weatherstrip to reattach the material to the side panels. Upon reinstallation, of course, the tops of the panels would not stay in place. They have remained hanging loose for many years as I could not work up the desire to go through the rear window removal and reinstallation all over again.

Upon cleaning up the car for the annual Vinton Cruise, it dawned on me that a simple plastic strip, tucked into the weatherstrip, might be all it takes to hold the side panels in place. I ended up using 1/16" thick black plastic strips, 3/4" wide and 21" long. Tucking them into the weatherstrip is kind of a wrestling match, but really only took about 5 minutes per side. I am very pleased with the results:

2vnibzn.jpg
[/img]
Very Nice, Thanks!

That is brilliant!! That is exactly what I need to do. Thank you for having this idea before I went and did something silly.

Latest posts

Back