Heater Box Installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Happy Friday...garage night tonight!

Does anyone have a picture of the underneath area of the cowl where the heater box attaches to the backside of the cowl hat. I replaced my cowl and the other was completely rusted out and didn't have the area where the 90 degree bracket attaches to the lower cowl. This is the bracket on the above glove compartment side or inside.

Also my heater box only goes into the blower insert a little. Is this normal. I thought it should slide all the way to the end of the insert but it doesn't. It just catches the lip of the blower insert. It doesn't look like the blower has moved.

Thanks,

D. Rolls

I'm pretty sure that your vent assembly attaches to the lower cowl. I just looked, the vent hooks to the cowl and the heater box. that is pass. side.

If you are missing parts, I have them..I went with Classic Air and did not use any of the ford parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going through the same problem.

If you are talking about the flat horizontal bracket, that is attached to the bottom of the cowl plenum, just bolt your HVAC assembly up to the firewall, with the bracket hand tight to the top of it. Clock it into position, and push the unit up, with the new seal in position to the cowl. Scribe a mark where the bracket goes, remove it, and weld your bracket. That will locate it better than any picture could show you.

I am going through the same problem.

If you are talking about the flat horizontal bracket, that is attached to the bottom of the cowl plenum, just bolt your HVAC assembly up to the firewall, with the bracket hand tight to the top of it. Clock it into position, and push the unit up, with the new seal in position to the cowl. Scribe a mark where the bracket goes, remove it, and weld your bracket. That will locate it better than any picture could show you.
Thanks...so it was a flat bracket with self tapping metal screw maybe. That make sense.

Back