Heater Box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I'm stuck. Does anyone have a picture of a heater box for a 72. The car was an ac car so thats what the box is. The top of the box where it gets pushed up against the cowl is only fiberglass. I am assuming that there was a collar on it that completely rotted off. Can't get the box to line up right with new fabbed cowl. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure what to do.

I'm stuck. Does anyone have a picture of a heater box for a 72. The car was an ac car so thats what the box is. The top of the box where it gets pushed up against the cowl is only fiberglass. I am assuming that there was a collar on it that completely rotted off. Can't get the box to line up right with new fabbed cowl. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure what to do.
D I have the exploded diagram but can't get to till tuesday...If you still need it by then let me know

D I have the exploded diagram but can't get to till tuesday...If you still need it by then let me know
Scott,

Would love to get my hands on the diagram. I am going to rebuild the box...basically clean up and put new seals in it. The box isn't lining up right against the heater fan enclosure. Its hardly pushing into it. Is it suppose to be like that? Seems to me it should push into the blower enclosure all the way. Also have to weld on a bracket to support the box opposite the firewall below the cowl.

Thanks

If someone doesn't beat me to it. I promise to send all pics tomorrow. I just rebuilt mine and seals and all. Oh and mine has ac also.

If someone doesn't beat me to it. I promise to send all pics tomorrow. I just rebuilt mine and seals and all. Oh and mine has ac also.
That would be great. Mine is not inserting into the blower housing more than 1/16 of an inch. Did yours fit in tight?

D...here ya go as promised

heat.jpg

Okay I put in the new seals and had my son clean it up a bit. I have not tried to reinstall it just yet. Have a few other things to take care of first. See if i can add a few pics
DSC02235.jpg
next it it works
DSC02234.jpg
and another
DSC02259.jpg

Well I have a few more pics but they all look the same basically..Let me know if this was any help at all..

hey a couple of more pics just cause I learned how to add them. :D
DSC02238.jpg
DSC02240.jpg
DSC02239.jpg
Okay I guess a couple means 3 this time..:D

Last edited by a moderator:
D...here ya go as promised

Thanks Scott

Do I need to worry about the vac lines in the heater box? I have no idea where they go. If I'm just using the heat do I need the vac lines. There was ac in the car. The evaporator is still in the box. The detail is very helpful.

Okay I put in the new seals and had my son clean it up a bit. I have not tried to reinstall it just yet. Have a few other things to take care of first. See if i can add a few pics
DSC02235.jpg
next it it works
DSC02234.jpg
and another
DSC02259.jpg

Well I have a few more pics but they all look the same basically..Let me know if this was any help at all..

hey a couple of more pics just cause I learned how to add them. :D
DSC02238.jpg
DSC02240.jpg
DSC02239.jpg
Okay I guess a couple means 3 this time..:D
Thanks for the help...Looks just like my box. I have no idea where the vac hoses go. They were all disconnected when I went to pull it out. I don't have ac anymore so I'm not sure how many vac lines control the ac. The front bracket by the cowl is still there but the area it screwed into is completely gone. Fabbed a new hat and I guess I will have to tack weld on some type of bracket to hold the box in place on the inside by the backside of the cowl.

Nothing is easy with these things. It was good to see the blower housing out. I have to figure out why the blower isn't working. Not sure if the blower is shot or there is a wiring issue. No power in car now so I may have to come back to it. I was thinking of pulling the blower and testing it with 12V but I'm not sure if it runs on 12V or is stepped down. I wonder if I can hook the wires to my battery to test.

I tested mine with 12 volts. Hooked it straight to the battery.

By the way after you were talking about the gap. I went out tonight just to take the top of the heater box and place it up against the Cowl. your right there is about a half inch gap. And that with my new seal kit. Hmmm. Now you have me wondering how to fill that gap. I know the seal I took off was high. But it was more of a gooey rubber type seal. I wonder if that part was to stay on the bottom of the cowl. Okay any out there have any Ideas on this??

By the way after you were talking about the gap. I went out tonight just to take the top of the heater box and place it up against the Cowl. your right there is about a half inch gap. And that with my new seal kit. Hmmm. Now you have me wondering how to fill that gap. I know the seal I took off was high. But it was more of a gooey rubber type seal. I wonder if that part was to stay on the bottom of the cowl. Okay any out there have any Ideas on this??
I went to Home Depot and bought ac window stripping. I'm going to glue it on the new one to get it thicker. As long as it seals. My heater box hardly fits into the blower insert. How far does yours go in. Maybe its suppose to just touch and the gasket seals it.....not sure

I have the vac line diagram get ya it later
Hey Scott,

Thanks for this diagram. It helped immensely. Do you have the rest of this diagram that describes all the functions of the vac modules on the box. I am looking for a complete section on all of the vac lines that connect to the heater box for the flappers and the ac functions, water valve vac switch etc. It looks like there might be a few more pages to this sheet you sent. Any chance you can post? I tested all the vents w/o the box inside car and everything checked out ok.

Fed a 12V through the fuse box directly to the blower switch and tested all the functions. To my surprise everything is working. I don't think this car's heat or ac function has been operative for many years. Trying to bring back to life...so far so good. The only thing is the low coil resistor must be shot. Couldn't get low but medium and hi works. I can live with this for now. Also found bad blower switch. Had an extra and slapped it in. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks,

D. Rolls

Back