heater hose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
I read the thread about the heater routing, but I want to make sure I am good to go. Oh before I start my fuel tank and por 15 showed up right now so I am pumped.

Now if I am standing in front of the car looking at the firewall I have two ports left and right.

One of those two ports should take a heater control valve, I dont know which one. I bought the new black one you can see it laying on my left shock tower it has a in and out just had to see. What side does it go to.

Now I have the two exit pieces one for my pump and the other the block.

Now which one does the heater control valve get hooked to? I would assume the right and pump, but I will work on the tank cannot run the dam thing without gas anyways.

Thanks again guys sorry for the dumb questions

P3050009.JPG

The question is not dumb at all. I am also interested in the answer.

My heater and A/C hoses were gone when I bought the car and I have no clue which hose goes to which heater core tube.

Engine is a 351C, car has A/C.

well I know the one off the pump goes to the heater control valve, but not sure which one it attaches to. Also I just figured out that you do need the l tube for the pump a reg one is bent way to far.

From the front looking rearward; left heater hose goes to lower nipple in the front of the block. The right heater hose has the control valve in it at the end of the S hose. The hose continues to the top nipple in the water pump. The lower threaded hole in the water pump is for the ported vacuum switch. Info from 1972 assembly manual, page E2Z-695-11. I hope this helps. Chuck

So do I have to put that vacuum switch or can I run two straight hoses?. I tried them both and they are regular hoses non l shape and they both look like they will work. Are u guys running them over or under a/c lines

Good question. The heater hose vacuum switch is used to prevent hot water from deluting the effects of the A/C.

When the A/C is on the switch closes so no hot water is sent to the heater. We put the valve in the line for purely

cosmetic reasons as the A/C has been removed.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I will post some pics and maybe a few people will do the same I have the control valve good to go but I am rocking some a/c so... I just dont want to put that dam thing on if I dont have to it is just ugly, and I think regualr hose will work just fine, just like you said good

Im still confused. One other member told me that the port on my water pump is my return. if that's true then my switch would have to ok to the intake. if you look at a new picture of a new vacuum switch you will see an arrow pointing in the directions at the flow is supposed to go on the swith itself. Originally my switch was hooked to the right port on the firewall. That would mean that the water is supposed to flow into the switch pressurized andcome out as a return on the ledt port. Ill have to look at the documentation for my intake and water pump too see what is a return and what is the pressure side.

here is the hose that came off of the motor prior to overhaul. I was wondering if I have to put this vacuum back on.

I am still a little confused as well, but I think the pump is the one going to the right and it is also the one that contains the vacuum switch that is located towards the firewall.

I hope someone tells me I do not need them

P3080031.JPG

P3080032.JPG

I don't have a 1973 Assembly Manual. Perhaps something was done differently in 1973. Maybe FastE can jump in as he has had his 73 forever. The switch in your picture looks like a ported vacuum switch. Why it is in the heater hose circuit I don't know. It may be part of the emissions package for 73. Chuck

From the front looking rearward; left heater hose goes to lower nipple in the front of the block. The right heater hose has the control valve in it at the end of the S hose. The hose continues to the top nipple in the water pump. The lower threaded hole in the water pump is for the ported vacuum switch. Info from 1972 assembly manual, page E2Z-695-11. I hope this helps. Chuck
So you are saying that the hoses will cross on the side of the motor

So you are saying that the hoses will cross on the side of the motor
Yes, just inboard of the dip stick. Your car does have the AC heater box doesn't it? The most inboard heater core nipple feeds the control valve and then goes to the water pump. The outboard nipple is connected to the nipple in the front of the block. From the factory, the two hoses are strapped together at the inboard side of the passenger side valve cover, behind the factory coil location. Sorry if I'm not being clear. Chuck

Back