Hello From Kansas City

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome::welcome:: Good things will come to those who wait.. LOL.. we all have heared that.. but if you and your son know what you have, THIS SITE will make it come true.

Alan L

::welcome:: and thanks yall for sharing the stories!

Oh yeah, KC, keep an eye out for a yellow convertible with air ride suspension and some running horses painted on the side. We met up with a couple from Kansas City at the Good Guys show in Bowling Green KY last fall. Nice looking car, had a fuel injected Cleveland in it also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Once you get the bugs out, your kid will have a dependable car as well as a cool chick magnet! LOL! keep the faith...it will come together!

::welcome::
Maybe this will make you feel that your not alone:

When I bought my car 72 Mach 1 clone I thought it was in fairly good shape. I found it in Laconia NH. The guy had it under a tarp for about 6 years outside. He got it running and put it out front. One of my buddies drove by and informed me of it. I went up there and checked it out. mechanically it was solid. 351C rebuilt..nonsmoker...C6 (he told me FMX). I came back the next day and bought it. he asked me when the trailer was coming. I told him I was going to drive it home. I asked him to change the oil and check all the fluids while I went to get a plate from the registry. He thought I was crazy. This thing was down so long we didn't know what to expect. Anyways my wife and kids followed me home . I live about 1 1/2 south of Laconia. I cruised home at about 70 mph. I was pretty happy. Fixed the drums and threw in a few pieces of sheet metal with rivets in the pan and got a sticker. My plan was to put new pans in it this year.

When I checked the heater before I bought it it didn't come on. Then I noticed the heater panel was unscrewed as if someone was troubleshooting it. I asked the guy about it and he said he was fooling around with the radio and he must have been knocked it off or something suspicious like that. I figured I could fix it...fuse or new blower no big deal. When I started going through it several weeks later I found the problem. The cowl was completely rotted out. Water was coming in on both sides. So that became the game plan. Once I started getting into the front end to access the cowl. I found that all the upper aprons were rotted, radiator front support was shot, steering box and master cylinder were leaking, wiring was scary at best and I can go on and on. I decided to pull the motor and drive train and just go through everything. I will say though the car ran like a champ all last summer after a tune up.

There is so much more that needs attention but too much to discuss. My point being these cars at low prices need major attention. If not consider that you've won the lottery. The killer piece to getting it done is to be "not afraid to tackle the project". I try to approach each section in the car w/o thinking of the rest of the project. If I do I become overwhelmed. If it wasn't for the guys in this forum I would be in big trouble. I ask some pretty basic and sometimes silly questions but I always get an answer and the feeling that everyone is willing to help each other.

Use this forum and you can get through all the repairs. I will tell you this: Be prepared to spend money. I give myself a budget every month for new parts. Get yourself a decent air compressor and a welder. They will both come in handy. I discovered the air chisel recently. Very handy.

The best thing is you get to spend time with your son working on the car. In my case my friend drives up here to work on the car with me every so often. It's the best time (we limit the beer until after 6 pm..lol) You'll create some good memories together.

PS:

Send away for every Mustang cataloug thats free. I have a pile of them. You can use the forum to ask the guys what they think of certain vendors. Some are better than others. Good Luck!
Darren, man that was one of the best inspirational speaches I've heard. Makes me want to go out and work on mine now. Like I said very good post. Thanks
Hey Thanks..Just trying to calm his nerves..lol. Just checked out some of your pics. Those are pretty cool original ads. I found one in an old sports illustrated from 72. Now you got me thinking. I'm gonna scan it and put it up on my non existing photos. Need to spend more time on here. You did a nice job on your car. It looks so simple when you see pics until you live it!...Not so simple..lol Stand by for my "what do I do now" posts. Not my post sorry I'm out!

I just wanted to thank everyone for such a great welcome. I can hardly wait to pick your brains. Truly thank you. I did put a few pictures up from the day we brought the car home. Need to get down there and take a few more while I have the whole dash and heater box out. Still waiting on parts to come in to put it back together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back