Hello from Long Island - 73 Mach1 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy73

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had this '73 Mustang in the garage since 1999 sitting, waiting for me to come back and get it going again.
tempImageVucLZD.jpg

The project started as an engine overhaul since the head gasket and valve stem seals had failed. Before the project was put on hold, I managed the following modifications:
  • New pistons and cranks
  • Crane cam gold roller rocker arms
  • Moroso high flow water pump
  • Melling high volume oil pump
  • Milodon "low profile" 8+ qt oil pan
  • Mild cam upgrade
  • Transmission conversion FMX -> C4
    • Lokar kick down cable
    • 2000 rpm stall torque converter
  • Holley mechanical fuel pump
  • Edelbrock performer intake manifold
  • Hedman exhaust header
I also left about 5 gallons of gas in the tank, for 20 years. I think maybe the dripping tar like substance from the fuel tank motivated me to start moving on the project again.

So getting back on the project again, I found myself replacing the gas tank and replacing the steel fuel lines with stainless steel. Oh the rust I removed from the trunk pan, I'm not sure it will actually be able to support the weight of a full fuel tank, but that's something I'll visit once the drivetrain is back to working order.

Cheers

Might just want to see if you can deal with the Cleveland oiling deficiencies before you fire it up.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
Not to be too critical on your build, but the high-volume oil pump was a huge issue on my engine rebuild. The engine rebuilder chose to put in a Melling HV pump, and within two summers driving, it took out the cam and main bearings, resulting in a warranty rebuild. It may be ok if the oiling system has been upgraded to work with the HV pump.

Hello From Switzerland..... 1999,it's a long time.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
Not to be too critical on your build, but the high-volume oil pump was a huge issue on my engine rebuild. The engine rebuilder chose to put in a Melling HV pump, and within two summers driving, it took out the cam and main bearings, resulting in a warranty rebuild. It may be ok if the oiling system has been upgraded to work with the HV pump.
Thanks. I appreciate critical. I prefer to prevent issues than fix more down the road. The only other oil modification is the higher capacity oil pan. I believe I saw some folks also adding additional oil drains in the top of the block, so that I guess oil can drain down quicker back to the pan. I'm wondering if your rebuild did anything more extensive.

Back