Hello from Western Nebraska

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang base coupe, 302, ps.c4,a/c,p/b
Hi!

I have found this site recently and felt compelled to join. I have been pleasantly surprised at the sense of camaraderie found in the forums here. If you all will indulge me, I will explain why this car means so much to me today.

I bought this car my senior year of high school (1979) from the wife of a fellow my dad knew. She(!) had ordered this car from the dealer with a severe lack of cool stuff. I mean the thing had an automatic transmission and a 140 hp 302 engine. It had g78-15 tires. It did not have any stripes or scoops or anything (but it had a vinyl top). But, what the car did have was my father's blessing. After being shot down for a 1974 Chevy Camaro when I was 16 and a 1968 Mercury Cougar (factory 390!) when I was seventeen, I was more than ready to sell the 1967 Plymouth 4 door hand me down (from mom), get a job, and buy the Mustang.

I bought the car in January, 1979 for the princely sum of $2000. The sales tax on the car was $60. My dad cosigned a bank loan for me and I went and got a job. Not 10 days after I bought the car, 1/2 of the guys in my senior class committed to skipping school for 2 days and going to Steamboat Springs skiing for a 4 day weekend. I started work the day they left.

I met my wife in junior college. While she liked me at first, she really liked my Mustang. I left her and my family and went to Laramie to college. However, I drove the 2 1/2 hours (one way) at least twice a month to visit both.

The day before we married I gave the keys to my dad and told him to sell it as I could not afford two cars. Wisely, he put the car in a shed and stored it for my future. Long story short, moved a couple of times, then we became pregnant. Complications from pregnancy left me with a premature baby (1 lb 13 oz) and a wife with kidney failure. Over the next 25 years we raised a daughter, put her through college and married her off. We went through 2 kidney transplants and two stints in intensive care for other issues. This past Christmas my wife asked what I wanted and I told her I wanted to start on the Mustang. She agreed. January, she passed away. In May, on the date of our 29th anniversary, I drug the thing out of that shed and put it in my garage. My Mother in law is storing my wife's former car for me until I finish the Mustang (she thinks it will be 9-12 months - I have not corrected her yet).

Luckily, I have a guy that works for me that moonlights restoring/hot rodding old muscle cars. We start Monday.

This project will be a catharsis for me. Thank you for allowing me to start the process.

Brian

Wow...Sad story, hope things improve and sorry for your loss. You definately have come to the right place for the car though, this place has a lot of knowledge and advice on it! Throw up some pics of the car, we love pictures! Welcome again Brian, From Navarre, Florida

T2. ::welcome::

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Sounds like you had a rich life with your wife. It's great you and your dad were able to hang onto the car all these years.

You have found the right place! We have a lot of great members and you will find plenty of knowledge and encouragement here.

Welcome, Brian, from Fabulous Las Vegas! So sorry to hear about your wife. That's so sad. Restoring your Mustang will be good theropy. I'm especially interested in watching progress on your car, as I'm from that part of the country too! I was Born and raised in Cheyenne. I graduated from high school in 1980. I have (or at least had) several friends in Western Nebraska, including Kimball, Sidney. and Scottsbluff. I miss that part of the country. My Mustang spent two years in a friends barn in Kimball after I moved from Cheyenne to Las Vegas. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any information or help I can provide for you. This site is an absolute wealth of knowledge and information. Once again, welcome!

Welcome from Wa state..Great story sir and very heart breaking...Im sorry for you're loss...And yes we love pictures..You definitely found the right site for 71-73 stangs

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I don't have the words to express the amazement that I have at your story. Welcome to an incredible online community and family that will be more than happy and willing to help you along the process! Welcome from Southern California!

Wow, such a heartfelt story and history. I am sorry for your loss. It sound like a very good plan going forward.

Welcome from coastal Alabama!

Brian,

Bless you and your family.

I lived and worked a short time in Alliance about 20 years ago.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

::welcome:: from Maine .

Welcome from Houston, Texas.

So sorry to hear about your loss and what a memory with the Mustang.

Hope we can share the restoration journey and assist along the way.

Hi Brian and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

I´m really sorry for your loss.

With that great story behind it I guess you really need to get that car done. We´re here to help. You´ve come to the right place.

Hi Brian,

First off, welcome to the site from Ontario Canada, don't forget to drop a pin on the members map to show where you're from.

Secondly

What a great tribute to your wife in setting out to get the car that brought the two of you together done!

::welcome:: . From Southwestern Florida. I am sorry for your loss. But she will always be with you and your car. Look forward to watching your Resto job.

Thank you all, so much, for the kind words. I took some pictures today for the "before" collection. As soon as I figure out the picture hosting and attachment they will be here.

This car would be special to no one but me. This is as generic a "CHICK" car as you could make in 1973. My plans are to make the car I wanted when I bought the thing. The car now has 133,344.8 miles on it. The suspension is shot, the heater core leaks, the fuel system has set with fuel in it for 29 years and the tires are barely holding air (three 15" and a 14" spare are on the ground).

My plans, in no particular order, are

• new fuel system - tank, lines, pump and carb
  • new suspension - improved spring rates and lowered
  • wheels and tires - several posts have me thinking 18"
  • brakes (car is a disc brake unit) - four wheel disc
  • Windsor engine upgrade
  • dual exhaust with headers
  • c4 (now leaking) - rebuilt and updated for 400+ hp
  • and update of interior.

Again, thank you for the kind words. I will now try to get some pictures, stick a pin and start a build thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back