Hello

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Steve from Michigan. I just finished my first resto which was a frame up 71 formula. This is my latest discovery. Found this 73 in a barn in Northern Michigan. It is a running 80000mile Grande with a 351C 2V.

I know nothing about Mustangs per say so not really sure what I have here. It was Free which is nice. Will need both quarters, fenders and a core support due to battery corrosion. Otherwise it seems like it has every little part! No rust around any of the windows and both doors mint.

My thought is Resto mod but probs going to be a while before I jump into it.

Since its free(so its cheaper than getting a fast back) and I need to replace the quarters anyway, is there enough repro parts out there to do the conversion or does it require a whole top transplant? I have done some searching and not come up with much so thought I would throw it out there.

Anyway Hi all and looking forward to learning about another vehicle.

I welcome any input.

Steve

if by now you viewed body work per pages 2-5 on my photo album you will see the process of a proverbial cutting out and pasteing on inner panels. As when you order new panels~you have to realize that they are all remanufactured and even when ford was doing the reproducing the panels~when they ran out of stock~they took the last one on the shelf and used that one to guage the dimensions and so when they were assembling the entire cars new for that year~they found they had to do a little adjusting to fit the panels that required cutting to fit on the frame~to the other panels. As for cutting out to add some sheet metal or making a whole panel out of 2 from the salvage yard have to watch out for matching the guage of the metal and beliieve me~the panels from one model to another in the same year is different. Then there is the readjusting the door panels to fit to the fenders that better the frame to the chassis and body is welded securely to each other so doors do not need a lot of adjusting often as well the car to track and handle likecornering like the race bred vehicle it should be to the now a day cars. Will be awaiting to hear your progress. Mikke

Hello,

Steve from Michigan. I just finished my first resto which was a frame up 71 formula. This is my latest discovery. Found this 73 in a barn in Northern Michigan. It is a running 80000mile Grande with a 351C 2V.

I know nothing about Mustangs per say so not really sure what I have here. It was Free which is nice. Will need both quarters, fenders and a core support due to battery corrosion. Otherwise it seems like it has every little part! No rust around any of the windows and both doors mint.

My thought is Resto mod but probs going to be a while before I jump into it.

Since its free(so its cheaper than getting a fast back) and I need to replace the quarters anyway, is there enough repro parts out there to do the conversion or does it require a whole top transplant? I have done some searching and not come up with much so thought I would throw it out there.

Anyway Hi all and looking forward to learning about another vehicle.

I welcome any input.

Steve

re your bud from where i am at latrobe~we have a very active AACA local that are getting antiques from auctions in eastern pa all the time and as well the wealth of fyi from the the headquarters AACA to the locals nationwide ~to belong to that club local to you can really be supportive in your resto quest. Our club also puts together these chance cars to help defer costs in our activities and has had 2 earlier chance cars as earlier year generation mustangs last year and another going to the lucky tfcket entrant the end of this month which the winning number is based on our lottory pick for this specific date to come. I mostly hang with the elder AARP bunch as well my church s function as on their board of their christcian education program but not teliing you this to recruit you into church. Though ask your new arrival friend from Latrobe if he is a golfer as Arnie Palmer donates stuff to my churchs fall festival yearly and belongs to the Presbyterian church couple blocks from mine. Fyi he was born raised and lives out of latrobe to date at 81 yrs old and still golfing here not to leaue out he has a hotel new car cadillac dealership and our airport is named after him and .....for such a small town many like myself own a bit of the town per se ay being active members of chamber of commerce. As myself retired from USPS DAYTONA BEACH FL AREA find i like it better in latrobe than living anywhere in florida

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok question, I got a chance to give it a better look yesterday. It will need quarters on both sides as wheel wells and trunk drop off to quarter union is done. Needs one front fender and a core support for sure. Floors frame trunk solid. Some rust in engine Bay Area around shock towers bit it almost looks like these panels bolt in? Not real clear on components of engine bay. Interior is complete but needss carpet and seAt covers as it smells of rodent piss. Then obviously it will need tires brakes suspension rubber and shocks.

My delema. It's too nice to cut up as even the door and windo weather strip is in amazing shape, but it's too rough to sell as a survivor and does not have a resale value to support even a minimal resto. I get that it was free but even if I do the quarters I still have to pay to have it painted.

It's too nice to trash but has no value as a resto. Tough call

Steve

Ps I'm a resto mod guy, not a restoration guy. Love muscle cars but don't have to be original for me. Rather have modern spin.

Pull the carpet out and pressure wash it then lay it out in the sun to dry. This often will save a carpet that looks to be ruined. While the seats are out clean underneath and spray with Fabreze and scrub the vinyl clean with Meguiars #39 Professional Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. This stuff works miracles.

Even if you don't restore it, a clean and stink free interior will make it easier to sell

Welcome from Washington State. Nice find, since it unmolested I'd clean it up, get it running and sell it as is since it's not your cup of tea. I bet you would have plenty of buyers wouldn't mind putting a little time and money in it; looks like it would be a nice driver.

Back