HELP!!! Engine issues (UPDATE WITH PICS)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
we went out for a ride last night, and the car ran great as usual, we stopped for dinner, and on the way back home about (20 miles from home) I heard a loud knock/pop from under the hood that I felt in the gas pedle.

then the engine started to run a little rough, and as soon as I steped on the gas pedle I would get a loud poping sound from the carb, that I could feel in the pedle, and the engine would Idle very rough, is actualy sounds like "blub blub blub 'POP' blub blub blub POP.

I pulled over, and I had my wife start the car, and I could hear a low frequency knock from teh block, and as soon as I increased the RPMs, I would get the loud Pop through the carb, as if a intake valve is not closing.

I was thinking of doing a compression test as soon as I got home tonight, and go from there.

Any thoughts?

also is there a way to test the oil pump while in place? I don't have the guage, just the idiot light.

555553_697992876896399_899990130_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks to hear that man, here's to hoping its just a clogged fuel filter :) One reason why I wanted to get my vital gauges installed, i hate to rely on idiot lights.

I would pull off the valve covers, if an exhaust valve is stuck closed for some reason the combustion gasses have to go somewhere so that will cause a loud pop to come out the carb, this could be a cam lobe wiped out, bent pushrod, broken rocker arm or stud.

I would pull off the valve covers, if an exhaust valve is stuck closed for some reason the combustion gasses have to go somewhere so that will cause a loud pop to come out the carb, this could be a cam lobe wiped out, bent pushrod, broken rocker arm or stud.
+1 That's where I would start. pull the covers and have someone roll it over and watch each rocker...you may even see it as soon as you take the cover off

Sounds to me like a valve spring broke.

Very similar to the behavior my engine exhibited when it dropped a valve. Cam lobes don't wipe instantly, so I suspect a bent push rod, dropped valve, broken rocker arm-

Check that the distributor is not loose and that you didn't get a sudden timing change

Pull the valve covers! Do not try and start the engine until you pull them and inspect each rocker arm, push rod and valve stem.

Thanks guys.

I have already checked the distributer last night on the side of the road, for any movement.

1.) I will do a Compresson test first (because its easy, and informational)

2.) while the plugs are out doing step 1, I will inspect them for any obvious issues.

3.) remove valve covers, inspect all mechanical moving parts.

once I find the problem, and I'm done Cursing, and Crying. start fixing it. :)

+2 on pulling the valve covers first. I would avoid turning the engine over anymore until I had assessed the top end. I am not an engine expert, but I had a similar problem with an AMC engine years ago and it wasa broken valve spring. It bound up just engough to avoid dropping the valve all the way in and allowing it to close all the way. Didn't have to do anything more than replace springs and guides and valves.

Pull the covers and inspect for damage before you turn the engine over anymore than needed. You may do more harm than good otherwise. I believe something has let go in the valve train.

OOPS!!! wrong order, I corrected it.

1.) remove valve covers, inspect all mechanical moving parts.

2.) I will do a Compresson test if all above is good, and nothing broken.

3.) while the plugs are out doing step 2, I will inspect them for any obvious issues.

Good luck Iyman , I hope it's not too serious .

Good thing your in tune with the car when trouble starts.
Mark, it funny you say that, I have the car dialed it so smooth, that I can feel every little thing that happens under the hood.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I feel better now after taking the Valve cover off, but its not over.

I found a Broken Rocker arm stud for the Cyl 8 exhaust, and a slightly bent pushrod (see pics below)

Now here is the big question, is this pressed in? and can it be fixed in place?

20130822_154034.jpg

20130822_154040.jpg

20130822_154046.jpg

20130822_154240.jpg

Yes, those are pressed-in studs. They can be pulled and a new one pressed in while on the car.

The heads look so clean and it might be the lighting but the rocker arms look nasty.

Back