Help with properly claying paint before polishing.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" code Mach 1
Okay all you Mavens of detailing here's my dilemma . Some say to use a plastic sandwich bag to feel for contamination in paint. When I do so the paint feels rough even after some claying. Others say to use a nitrile exam glove to feel for contamination. With the glove I feel a lot less roughness. And after I clay the area it is smooth. What baffles me is that the Mach 1 is covered unless I'm working on it in the shop. It doesn't get driven very much.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

It's tuff to keep a car contaminate free. Be sure to use a spray detailer and wipe down the surface of the car before putting the cover on. Also, make sure your cover is clean to minimize transfer of contaminates. If you've ever put the cover on the car without wiping the car down first, you've probably got fine dust and dirt on the inside of your cover that can get into the paint.

If you have a DA polisher, I'd recommend rather than clay bar use a 3-step process of cleaning, polishing, and sealing your paint. There are several good professional online sources for detailing tips and techniques. I like autogeek.net's detailing tips section but there are others, also.

Back