Her 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t even know what to say.  That painter is a fucking joke.  The hood and roof are unacceptable!!   God luck with the rest of the build.  I really feel for ya man!

I've enjoyed reading through your project thread.  It's great that you're building your wife's car as a couple and making memories along the way.

Your car is back at home and it'll look great when you get it done.  Cut and buff will take care of many of the flaws.  Many of the others that you see others will never notice.  There are more positives than negatives with the progress you've made to this point.  You will learn more about restoration dealing with those issues that challenge your standards.  

I look forward to seeing the rest of the project now that is back in the hands of those that care the most about the results!  Keep up the great work and keep posting updates and pictures.

Thanks all!

We have been in contact with a detail shop that came highly recommended by 3 collision repair shops in the area. He's THE guy they call to do their wet sand and buff as they don't do that step. He's actually going to come to us next week and give us a bid to finish the damn paint job.

Yes I am very looking forward to working on the Mach 1. With my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a visit from my Other Brother. He knows Gobs about paint/bodywork. Unfortunately he was unable to be with us on our intial paint inspection visit to the body shop.

His appraisal is that "if" the painter in fact laid down 4 decent coats of clear as he said, our car will be fine.

He told us of an early 60's Falcon that he painted years ago. I saw the finished product and it was a show stopper. He told us that it looked awful after clear coat, like a satin finish. His Falcon turned out great. He said we have a much better looking starting point.

He did say that our painter has a lot to learn about painting a car before he starts charging what he charged us.

I should sleep better tonight.

Inventoried loose parts. Glovebox door is missing. Waiting for word back from painter.

Just received a text; shop employee misplaced it. He'll repaint it this week.

Painter offered to try and fix hoood latch brace/support as it was bent when we brought it to the shop. Still bent. But it does have a nice coat of black paint. 

Detail guy coming over on Wednesday a.m. to give us a quote.

No hole in floor pan for e-brake cable and no e-brake brackets on the underside. Oops.

Lots and lots of dirt specks in the clear coat. 

hoodltchbrce.jpg

I gave painting a try myself. Not sure how it will turn out. Finding little things in it that I need to touch up but overall I would say better than what you got. I spent a TON of time prepping for paint. Neighbor showed me how. Bought different guns and a $1100 compressor. I am very happy with it so far. At wet sanding stage. Between neighbor who owns a shop and a guy I sold some stuff to in Hawaii (also owns a shop) I have a good idea of what I need to do. Will find out if I can actually do it. I plan to paint some of my other cars so the sunk cost will be spread out over them. Spent probably $500 on sandpaper!

Wish we would have upgraded our compressor and gave it a try! But what I doubted the most was our ability to replace sheet metal. The ability to weld well is a gift I don't posess.

Cancelled the detail guy appointment. I tested positive for the Kung Flu yesterday. I got the rapid test due to my line of work. The efficacy of the rapid test has been questionable. But I have the classic symptoms minus serious respitory issues. My wife had the PCR test and will find out results later. But again she is symptomatic.

Eisenhower's advisors were right. Did I type that out loud? Too bad.

That piece should not be black is Slop Grey. Several parts in the grill mount are Slop grey. The shock tower braces, grill to radiator support, square trays under the headlights, center grill support and two little braces on fender to radiator support are all Slop Gray. Also the big cover under the front fender for the shock and spring is Slop Gray. You can get from NPD or mustang supply house.

Seems like when it rains it pours at your house.    Hopefully it wasn't the painter that gave it to you.   :whistling:   Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Hope you and your wife recover quickly without any serious effects. 

Get well soon, Brett! 

And take your time for research about the original paint shades of the attached parts. David gave some good informations about that. That part is usually also slop grey: 

s-l1600.jpg

Also the front license plate mount. 

Concerning the right shade of grey: it all could be. From light to dark. I have seen original factory cars with different shades. In common they were all darker greys, but all different. So I mixed up myself a grey and took some cheap an reliable one out of the shelves. That said you don't need that special expensive "slop grey" from the vendors... 

That piece should not be black is Slop Grey. Several parts in the grill mount are Slop grey. The shock tower braces, grill to radiator support, square trays under the headlights, center grill support and two little braces on fender to radiator support are all Slop Gray. Also the big cover under the front fender for the shock and spring is Slop Gray. You can get from NPD or mustang supply house.
I am thinking these parts may have been different colors depending on when or even who was painting them at the factory?  I am selling him a replacement hood latch/grille assembly from a 72 Sprint I had from about 86-94-ish.  Midwest rust ate it up so i pulled a bunch of parts.  I never painted the car and the parts are black?  I am wondering if anyone else has insight to this?  You can see the blue overspray in one pic but not sure if that was factory.  I did make the dual supports on my 71 vert gray (used to be black).

20210427_093908.jpg

20210427_093919.jpg

All could be possible... But I have seen slop grey parts which were almost black, like an anthrazite color, very dark grey. So after all the years it appears to be black. And, as you mentioned, wherever it was assembled, every plant had its own shade of grey, depending on year, month, week and day... 

Shades of Grey... Mmmmh... Wasn't there a movie once?!? 

I hadn't given it much thought until David brought up the color. But I hadn't considered anything but black. It isn't a concours restoration we were after, but it is food for thought, since a detail here or there would be a nice touch. 

Thanks to Cwalker509 we will have a straight bracket to install!

Day 5 of the covid for us. I'm a little achy this a.m. Wife had a mild fever last night. We're fortunate we didn't get real sick. We have little ones to care for which means no way to isolate from them. So far no signs of sickness for them, but at their age they are likely to be asymptomatic. 

We hope to have the detail guy over after the quarantine period. Two weeks extra for the paint to cure/harden. Damn china for putting this on the whole of mankind. Now we get to worry about future health issues. Only good commie is a dead commie.

Somehow I missed that you have Covid. I do hope you jump right past that. My neighbor in her 80's got over the holidays and spent 83 days in hospital and rehab. So it kicks older peoples ass. Keep us informed for sure and hope the kids are fine.

I do not know if you know the history of the Ford Slop Gray paint. In the paint shop you are changing colors all the time as different cars come through. Ford collected all the purge paint and left over of every color and mixed it all together. As colors do if you mix white, black blue, red all colors together it always comes out a gray color. Sometimes darker some lighter. The parts I mentioned go painted with this more or less waste paint and the name Slop Gray got applied because it was slop mixed together.
It does make the car look correct to open the hood and there be the different colors there not all satin black.
The green car is one of our members and is a Concourse Restoration. It won Best of Show at this event in April with over 1,000 mustangs there so you know it is right. My car is an original survivor I ordered new and not restored. You can see the Slop Gray parts in some of the pics. I am doing a write up on the parts that have Manganese Phosphate on them also. That would be the hood hinges, hood latch mechanism, parking brake assembly, gas pedal and the upper mounts on the shock tower. It is not paint but a chemical process you can duplicate.
I am one of those that if you are going to redo why not make it like Ford did cost the same and will add value for sure.

20210327_141430.jpg

20210327_141503.jpg

20210327_141520.jpg

20210327_141527.jpg

20210327_142443.jpg

Excellent explanation on "slop gray" David! I did not know this. You should do a write up and it should be made a sticky in the paint section. Since we have time, this should be a detail we could add with little effort.

That green car is impressive! I've seen pictures of yours on this site and it is a perfect example of a survivor! Not sure if I've seen an engine bay pic though.

Yes we are doing fine today. I spiked a minor fever this afternoon and felt a bit crummy so I took a nap. I lost sense of smell today. I peeled a fresh orange and couldn't smell it. My kiddos are fine so far, but both of us are positive, our house is small and no way to self isolate from them. There is no doubt in my mind that they too will contract the commie crud. Long term heart, lung and brain damage frighten me the most for all. Losing taste and smell ain't cause of a runny nose. It's my brain being screwed up.

Somehow I missed that you have Covid. I do hope you jump right past that. My neighbor in her 80's got over the holidays and spent 83 days in hospital and rehab. So it kicks older peoples ass. Keep us informed for sure and hope the kids are fine.

I do not know if you know the history of the Ford Slop Gray paint. In the paint shop you are changing colors all the time as different cars come through. Ford collected all the purge paint and left over of every color and mixed it all together. As colors do if you mix white, black blue, red all colors together it always comes out a gray color. Sometimes darker some lighter. The parts I mentioned go painted with this more or less waste paint and the name Slop Gray got applied because it was slop mixed together.
It does make the car look correct to open the hood and there be the different colors there not all satin black.
The green car is one of our members and is a Concourse Restoration. It won Best of Show at this event in April with over 1,000 mustangs there so you know it is right. My car is an original survivor I ordered new and not restored. You can see the Slop Gray parts in some of the pics. I am doing a write up on the parts that have Manganese Phosphate on them also. That would be the hood hinges, hood latch mechanism, parking brake assembly, gas pedal and the upper mounts on the shock tower. It is not paint but a chemical process you can duplicate.
I am one of those that if you are going to redo why not make it like Ford did cost the same and will add value for sure.

View attachment 50842

View attachment 50843

View attachment 50844

View attachment 50845

View attachment 50846
That manganese phosphate is NOT easy to do (At least i found it difficult, nay, impossible).  You have to vapor degrease and acid etch and blah blah.  They used it on various guns as well (Known as parkerized i think when talking about guns).

That manganese phosphate is NOT easy to do (At least i found it difficult, nay, impossible).  You have to vapor degrease and acid etch and blah blah.  They used it on various guns as well (Known as parkerized i think when talking about guns).
Well if it is lke parkerized finish on a gun, then not possible in my shop. Best I've been able to do is cold blue. I did a 1911 frame last summer in cold blue and was proud of myself on how it looked when complete.

I imagine there is a paint that may replicate manganese phosphate finish.

Made it through the night without feeling like death was knocking on my door. We're fortunate. Worried about my wife's cousin as he was not doing well yesterday. He was the victim of the same irresponsible, ignorant and selfish relative that infected us all. Hope to have energy to do more than sit on the couch today.

Detail guy finally was able to come over and take a look at the Mach. 

The orange peel does not concern him, but the larger dirt nubs and air bubbles that are numerous do, for there are many.

He'll come over on the 28th and work on the Mach 1 at our house. Kind of surprised at that, considering our shop is small, but it does have air conditioning. Plan of attack is the hood first as it is likely going to have to be redone.

He doubts our painters claim of 4 coats of clear. If there are 4, they are thin, is what his experienced eyeballs tell him. He'll know more soon.

Back