High Battery Voltage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmarlojill

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible, 351C 2v, Full restoration
I have a volt meter installed in my car and have been noticing that when I first start the car the voltage looks correct but once it warms up the gauge is pegged past 16. Am I going to hurt my battery? what would cause to high of voltage?

The voltage regulator is probably going bad letting the alternator overcharge the battery. And over charging the battery with that many volts is not good for it. Can fry it or even cause it to explode. I had a battery in my Bronco blow up once. Sounded like a gun went off under the hood. I would check the volts with a meter to confirm you gauge is correct and then swap out the regulator.

The voltage regulator is probably going bad letting the alternator overcharge the battery. And over charging the battery with that many volts is not good for it. Can fry it or even cause it to explode. I had a battery in my Bronco blow up once. Sounded like a gun went off under the hood. I would check the volts with a meter to confirm you gauge is correct and then swap out the regulator.
what is the proper voltage if I check it at the battery with a meter?

Make sure your Neg battery cable is properly grounded at the sheet metal by the voltage regulator and at the engine block below the alternator. I once burned out an alternator and battery learning about the importance to proper grounding. If freshly painted, remove small patch of paint to expose bare metal at the contact point.

I agree it will be a ground or the regulator bad. It will actually boil the battery and the vapor coming from the boiling is what eats up the battery box and inner fender on our cars. You should at least once a year mix up baking soda and water and wash down the battery, area around the battery and the hood over the battery. Mix it pretty strong like half a box to a gallon. You will see it bubble and fizz if there is acid present. Don't get it in the battery or it will kill it. You can even sprinkle the dry soda around and wet it. Rinse with clean water and your battery box will last forever.

Let us know what you find.

David

Just wanted to give an update.....after redoing the grounds it ended up being a bad regulator. Replaced it and now im good to go.

Thanks everyone

Back