High Torque Starter for 351W/C6

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lldoor

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1971 Fastblack
Black on Black with 408 Stroker
Hi,

i drive a 71 Ford Mustang Fastback and it have a 408 Stroker with C6. The Stroker is based on a 351 Windsor engine. When the eingine is hot i do have starting problems, because of the high compression. I am looking for

a high torque starter. I think Tilton starters a very good, but they are too expensive. I live near Hamburg Germany and i have to pay high shipping costs and taxes too. So my question is, which affordable High Torque starter is the best for my engine/trans combination.

Thank you very much. Dirk from Germany

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

i drive a 71 Ford Mustang Fastback and it have a 408 Stroker with C6. The Stroker is based on a 351 Windsor engine. When the eingine is hot i do have starting problems, because of the high compression. I am looking for

a high torque starter. I think Tilton starters a very good, but they are too expensive. I live near Hamburg Germany and i have to pay high shipping costs and taxes too. So my question is, which affordable High Torque starter is the best for my engine/trans combination.

Thank you very much. Dirk from Germany
DB Electrical makes an inexpensive PMGR starter for your application. I've had good luck with mine.

http://stores.ebay.com/DB-Electrical-Starters-Alternators

Thank you, i will try this starter, just placed my order at db.

I use a Powermaster hi-torque unit and don't have any issues with my 408 at 10.2:1. If it's not starting well when it's hot it might be a bad electrical connection exhibiting inhibited current flow caused by the additional electrical resistance when the wires get hot.

I've used the power master high torque starter. It's awesome, I went through 3 stock starter n all died including power master, make sure you buy the high torque power master, plus it's smaller n way lighter.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

they are fast, i get it on friday here in Hamburg/Germany. Replaced the starter and it starts very well. I have to check how it works when the engine is hot. Thanks to all of you and to this Forum!

Today it was fine weather and i did a test drive on the German “Autobahn“, we have no speed limit! The engine was very hot and starts like it should with the new starter!

Today it was fine weather and i did a test drive on the German “Autobahn“, we have no speed limit! The engine was very hot and starts like it should with the new starter!
One of my favorite Mustang commercials is the GT500 on the Autobahn:

[video=youtube]

Back