Holiday traditions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
On another forum I ran across a thread on traditions and how they may have started.

I'm sharing this one cause it just cracked me up-feel free to add your holiday tradition stories

"When cooking the Easter Ham, Ma would always cut a part off and cook it in an other pot. After many years in the service, I came home and at Easter diner I asked Ma if she had cooked the ham in 2 pots and she said she had.

I asked why and she she that her Mother had always done so. Well Grandma was sitting at the table there so I asked her why she cut the ham into 2 pieces and cooked it in 2 different pots, to which she said her Mother had also done it that way.

Great Grandma was also at the table that year, unfortunately , we lost her the next year, but I asked her why she cut the Easter ham into 2 pieces and cooked in 2 different pots, to which she said in a shaky broken voice, ..."Because Sweet Boy....I didn't have a pot big nuff fer it to fit in." My Grandma and Ma looked at each other and bust out laughing !"

and that's that

Great story!

My father was an only child, so we got to see our paternal grandparents for all the holidays. Dad was a family doctor, and we lived in a small rural town.

On Christmas Eve, we would always have shrimp and eggnog. The adults could have whiskey in theirs, and Grandma always had "a little nog with her whiskey." Around 11:00pm, dad would give all us kids a pill to "help us sleep."

Later on, when I was older, and Grandma was a widow in her late 80's, she complained about not being able to sleep when she was visiting, so dad would give her a pill to "help her sleep."

It occurred to me that the pills were probably the same pills that Dad gave to us kids when we were young to help us go to sleep on Christmas eve. So I went to the medicine cabinet and looked at the bottle. It was a bottle of Darvon....

I asked dad, and he confirmed giving us all Darvon to make us sleep....

Not really a tradition any of us kids carried on...

Another Christmas tradition:

My parent's bedroom was on the first floor, but all 3 of us kids had a bedroom on the second floor.

So after we slept so soundly, and the drugs wore off, we would wake up around 7:00 or so. All three of us slept in my oldest sister's bedroom, so our relatives could use our rooms.

We had to stay upstairs until all the adult relatives had time to use the shower, brush their teeth, etc. It was EXCRUCIATING waiting for them to get ready, but we would wait, patiently, sitting at the top of the stairs.

I believe to this day, that they actually tried to take longer than necessary to get ready, LOL!

Then, we would all charge down the stairs and into the living room where "Santa" had left all our presents.

After that, we had a huge breakfast, with fruit salad, pancakes, bacon, and juice.

Ah, the memories... dipping bacon in the maple syrup!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story!

My father was an only child, so we got to see our paternal grandparents for all the holidays. Dad was a family doctor, and we lived in a small rural town.

On Christmas Eve, we would always have shrimp and eggnog. The adults could have whiskey in theirs, and Grandma always had "a little nog with her whiskey." Around 11:00pm, dad would give all us kids a pill to "help us sleep."

Later on, when I was older, and Grandma was a widow in her late 80's, she complained about not being able to sleep when she was visiting, so dad would give her a pill to "help her sleep."

It occurred to me that the pills were probably the same pills that Dad gave to us kids when we were young to help us go to sleep on Christmas eve. So I went to the medicine cabinet and looked at the bottle. It was a bottle of Darvon....

I asked dad, and he confirmed giving us all Darvon to make us sleep....

Not really a tradition any of us kids carried on...

Another Christmas tradition:

My parent's bedroom was on the first floor, but all 3 of us kids had a bedroom on the second floor.

So after we slept so soundly, and the drugs wore off, we would wake up around 7:00 or so. All three of us slept in my oldest sister's bedroom, so our relatives could use our rooms.

We had to stay upstairs until all the adult relatives had time to use the shower, brush their teeth, etc. It was EXCRUCIATING waiting for them to get ready, but we would wait, patiently, sitting at the top of the stairs.

I believe to this day, that they actually tried to take longer than necessary to get ready, LOL!

Then, we would all charge down the stairs and into the living room where "Santa" had left all our presents.

After that, we had a huge breakfast, with fruit salad, pancakes, bacon, and juice.

Ah, the memories... dipping bacon in the maple syrup!
You actually took time to eat as a kid after opening your presents?

Jim

Back