Holley Sniper CAN wiring shorted

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Grande, 351W, EFI, AFR heads, TKX 5spd, 9" rear, ram air
Well. I think I screwed up. I wanted to see if anyone did this and how they addressed it. Last night while re-installing the sniper EFI throttle body to the intake, I did not see the CAN wire (the one that goes to the hand held computer) get between the throttle body and intake. I tightened down the throttle body and attempted to start the car. I heard a pop (sounded like a short or fuse pop) and the hand held went dead. And yes, I know. I should have double checked, etc. Live and learn, I guess. Well, I pulled the Sniper off and saw the cord was smashed and seemed the wiring inside had shorted with each other. Did I fry the ECU? Maybe just the hand held? May popped a fuse somewhere? I checked the fuses that came with the EFI kit. All looked fine. Maybe the relay? Any ideas or advise?

Never mind. I spoke with Holley tech. ECU is most likely damaged. Mailed the unit today. $250 to replace the ECU. The tech said it wasa 4-6 week turn around. Not bad, I guess. Live and learn. Now to get the old carb working. :-(

The tech said it wasa 4-6 week turn around. Not bad, I guess.
And this is exactly the reason I shy away from the sniper system. When its down, its down for the count. You aren't running to the pull-a-part or autozone to get any individual parts. Holley doesn't even seem to have spare parts available to distributors. Otherwise you would at least be able to pick a spare ECU from summit and have it at your house in 2 days.

And this is exactly the reason I shy away from the sniper system. When its down, its down for the count. You aren't running to the pull-a-part or autozone to get any individual parts. Holley doesn't even seem to have spare parts available to distributors. Otherwise you would at least be able to pick a spare ECU from summit and have it at your house in 2 days.
Well in holleys defense it is the same chip shorta that all the manufacturers faced.

the manufacturers are getting the parts before Holley

Sorry to hear your misfortune. Getting parts and down time was one of my concerns when I got mine, but the benefits of the Sniper outweigh those concerns and I'm glad I got it. One of those upgrades that was well worth the money.

Never mind. I spoke with Holley tech. ECU is most likely damaged. Mailed the unit today. $250 to replace the ECU. The tech said it wasa 4-6 week turn around. Not bad, I guess. Live and learn. Now to get the old carb working. :-(
Sorry about your efi going down. It's good you have your carb to get you rolling though.

Sorry about your efi going down. It's good you have your carb to get you rolling though.
Is there a fuel pump setup that lets you easily swap between sniper and carb? If that was an option, I would be a lot more willing to take the plunge. I was under the impression that you need a 60PSI pump with a return line for the sniper, and a 7 PSI setup for a carb.

If you use a 255LPH pump with an Fuelregulator 0-90 psi and a returnline it can be set up to handle booth carb and EFI. If anybody thinking of going to EFi, forget the Sniper and go for the Terminator X :)

Is there a fuel pump setup that lets you easily swap between sniper and carb? If that was an option, I would be a lot more willing to take the plunge. I was under the impression that you need a 60PSI pump with a return line for the sniper, and a 7 PSI setup for a carb.
Aeromotive has a tank with a stealth pump they sell.

it has the pressure and return lines on it.

they have a regulator that will work for efi and if you swap the diaphragm out will regulate down to carb pressures.

Hmm. Bad news. The box I received from Holley has two brand new 450 series carbs in it for a tunnel ram setup. Obviously an error. I already notified them and they are sending a return shipping label, etc. So sad. I was looking forward to getting the EFI back on. But good news. I had the windshield and rear window installed last week. After the glass settles in, they will come back this week to glaze and seal.

Hmm. Bad news. The box I received from Holley has two brand new 450 series carbs in it for a tunnel ram setup. Obviously an error. I already notified them and they are sending a return shipping label, etc. So sad. I was looking forward to getting the EFI back on. But good news. I had the windshield and rear window installed last week. After the glass settles in, they will come back this week to glaze and seal.
Sorry to hear about the mix up but my question to you is your sniper on it's way. If not, hold the carbs ransom and demand a hperspark distributor along with the hyper coil and ignition box! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back