Hood lever tightening

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Has anyone tried to tighten the lever on the hood release? It’s held on with one rivet with a pinned (I think that’s what they call it) swedge. What have others done to tighten the lever? Mine moves up and down about 1” at the end of the lever.

Well, here’s what I did. I ground off the upset, pulled it out, remove the rest of the upset so it was “flush” with the top of the lever. Then I drilled a hole to enable a 3/8” bolt to go through it. A bolt, washer, lever, rivet (using the old rivet as a locator), and then a side crimp nut, to hold it without a lock washer (that way I could tighten to a firm lever).

896C35B5-89F8-4A66-8602-81A19281745E.jpeg91086A1C-D07C-4EDF-BA9C-359C4A144A42.jpeg

I've personally not done this repair. But as an additional suggestion to what others already stated: use a "Button head" style bolt as the pivot pin, this will present a cleaner more finished look then a hex bolt.

Latest posts

Back