Hood Options?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this would look ridiculous?

• Yes, don't do it!

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No, go for it!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I don't like the way this looks and I1971-1972-1973-ford-mustang-08.jpg guess Ford didn't either. Prototype picture.

I have a built 429 sitting on a stand in the garage for it. While it was in my buddies '56 F100, it made 600hp at the wheels.
Have you test fittet it in the car? I'm asking because that green coupe has the Boss 429 scoop because the 429 (stroked to 460!) underneath did not fit under the hood and the air filter needed a cutout in the hood.

It actually protrudes into the scoop and you can see it from up front.

In the end it's defiantly your decision. If you do decide to go with a hood scoop at least you have three Ford hood scoops to choose from that all looked good. The 68-70 Mustang and 68-69 Torino style which looks great on luxstang's car. The Cougar style which Chuck illustrated, has the same height as the Mustang/Torino scoop but is wider. Then the in your face Boss 429 scoop. As I have gotten older I have "Toned" down a little, so I sorta like the middle of the ground Cougar scoop.

1969_mercury_courgar_xr_428cj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With that on the hood the engine should be able to backup the look. ;)
I have a built 429 sitting on a stand in the garage for it. While it was in my buddies '56 F100, it made 600hp at the wheels.
Well, that scoop would certainly look good on the stand! Just giving ya crap. ;)

But yeah, sounds like you have the beef to back up the look!!

Myself, I prefer the sleeper approach. Just a 45 year old baby blue convertible, nothing to see here.. :)

But who knows what I would do with the next one. Cuz I like them all!

Bringing this one back up as I proceed with my 545 install.

I currently have a hand-built metal scoop grafted into my '73 Mach 1 hood. This scoop was tall enough for the old 428SCJ with a DOVE Single plane intake utilizing two stacked air cleaner elements, without any problems.

y'all might recall I also have a 472 (429 with 460 crank bored .060) in my '73 Grande using a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake without any fitment issues relative to the hood while using a stock NACA hood.

While I have not yet test fitted my current NACA modified hood yet on the 545 application, I am thinking it might not "cut the mustard as I might need another inch or so.  Any of you seen any NACA hoods utilizing the Boss 429 scoop versus the standard coupe/convertible hood. I found a vendor who can supply a fiberglass Boss 429 scoop that is 4" at the front which might work if my current hood does not clear. If go that route, I will probably store my current hood and just order another one and cut it up as appropriate.

If this doesn't cut it, I might have to go to an L88 ( :angel:) type hood.

Any thoughts?

~BT

The Mustang would quickly reject the Chevy product. That is why I have a separate set of tools to work on non-Ford products. The risk of cross contamination is too great. ;)  Chuck

The Mustang would quickly reject the Chevy product. That is why I have a separate set of tools to work on non-Ford products. The risk of cross contamination is too great. ;)  Chuck
Yeah Chuck, I knew that would bring out a comment or two lollerz !

It boggles my mind how many L88-type hood scoops there are out there of different heights while we are limited on what is available for our community. I tell you, I SINCERELY miss being overseas where I had guys in my shop who could craft metal by hand (at a reasonable rate). Makes me wish I had spent some time in my youth learning how to massage metal.

~BT

My apologies Nik...I did not mean to hijack your thread.

I put in my vote...I personally like the Boss 429 Scoop but as to your question, I would say Yes.

~BT

Why not go for the big 69 mopar scoop that looks like nostrils on a dog or better yet the backwards 64 thunderbolt bubble instead of the L88. Sorry must be the crown royal talking. I thought about the domonator hood but didn't want to do it without seeing one up close

It's hard to beat the looks of the Naca hood in my opinion. Nothing against dogs, I love dogs. The flat hood with the boss scoop does look kinda cool

Back