Hooker headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I just got my hooker hk headers and the instructions say they will NOT fit a 1971 w/ power steering, but will fit 72-73. Does anybody know why this is? Did the 71's have a different steering box than the 72-73's?

I would think that it would fit just fine though trying to wiggle it in from the bottom could be difficult. Probably it would be much easier if the motor was out. If motor is in you will probably have to lift it a little or possibly remove the steering box. I removed the steering box when I had my motor in because I couldn't get it past the steering box and then reinstalled it after I had the header in place. The passenger side slipped in really easy. This was with a 73 but I think a 71 is the same. Manual or auto, manual may have some issues with linkage but I know no issues with auto.

Omie... i had the same question couple weeks ago. I have yet to install them but from what i hear you have to install them without the box, then fit the box, mark where they interfere, take out, nick that area and reinstall.

I already have the box out for rebuild and i am replacing all the steering links so it should go easy from below. Good luck, keep us posted.

1971 M-code Mach 1

I was just curious, mine is a 72 w/auto trans. Thanks for all the replies!!

I dropped mine in from the top with some careful wiggling with the power steering gear box and linkage installed... of course, I had absolutely nothing else in the way, either (no brake booster, no A/C lines, no radiator, no "anything" really).

I don't have a pic of the driver side, but these are the conditions I was working under:

Nothing in there but the engine and steering system (minus the steering column, of course):

engine2.jpg

engine4.jpg

BTW - that Monte Carlo bar didn't fit at all, so I gave it to Auron73Mach1 (which I'm sure didn't fit with his 460, either... but he asked about it, and since I wasn't going to be using it... ;) )

The headers have a bit of room on each side to help wiggle them in from the top:

headers4.jpg

And here it is from underneath - you can [just barely] see how the steering box is close to the header... and it's really close, but it does clear:

exhaust3.jpg

Send in the collector end from the top, and kind of slip it past the gearbox, then rotate the rest of it into place. It's doable... trust me. I think I had more hassle with the passenger side, actually... but I think I tried coming up from the bottom because "there was more room," or something like that.

Hope this helps.

WOW, our builds look identical!! What dizzy are you running? Is that an altered original? I had the same thing in my car but didn't like all the wiring and box that went with it, but might have to use it to get functional ram air!!

Omie,

The dizzy is a Cardone Duraspark unit I scored from Summit Racing. It's plugged into a Duraspark "blue grommet" box using an NPD adapter harness and Accel Super Coil - no points here, Man! ::thumb::

I went that route to get rid of the points without having to give up the Ram Air (because of a much larger aftermarket distributor not allowing the Ram Air air cleaner to fit). My understanding that a Pertronix unit in a stock dizzy will work very well, but I know that distributors, Duraspark boxes, etc., can all be had at my local parts store if the ignition system ever craps out. The Pertronix... not so much - they only carry one in stock, and if it's gone, I'm waiting until they get a new one in or have to order one anyway.

Tony,

It's a Pypes 2.5" stainless with X-pipe and Pypes Street Pro mufflers. I couldn't find the stainless Hooker Collector Adapters at the time, which is why mine are painted black (no biggie) - but the rest of the system is all Pypes... got it through Summit Racing as well.

The rest of the system:

exhaust4.jpg

rearaxle12.jpg

And here's how it sounds at first fire-up - sorry for the wind noise from the massive 7-blade fan:

Qcode351mach (Scott) has a very similar Pypes system on his car with a much better video.

Well, it's a stainless system... so any welding to be done will need to accommodate stainless steel (probably a muffler/exhaust shop would be best suited for that, and is also why I still have clamps on mine).

The only pieces I had to modify are the lead pipes from the collectors needed about 7 degrees of bend to mate up with the right angle to the collectors on the headers. The only other mods were to cut the elbow pieces to length - the ends I wound up cutting are inside of the X-pipe itself.

Other than that - clamps got it on just fine. I'm still going to have it welded, though, and I'm thinking I'd like some more permanent hangers, than the universal-style ones that came with the kit.

Well, it's a stainless system... so any welding to be done will need to accommodate stainless steel (probably a muffler/exhaust shop would be best suited for that, and is also why I still have clamps on mine).

The only pieces I had to modify are the lead pipes from the collectors needed about 7 degrees of bend to mate up with the right angle to the collectors on the headers. The only other mods were to cut the elbow pieces to length - the ends I wound up cutting are inside of the X-pipe itself.

Other than that - clamps got it on just fine. I'm still going to have it welded, though, and I'm thinking I'd like some more permanent hangers, than the universal-style ones that came with the kit.
I went with the exact same set up and it cost me ~$100 to get welded and installed at a local shop. The shop owner commented that it was the best fit he'd ever seen for collectors car. I've been very happy with the sound and looks.

Cheers,

JHawk

The pypes don't work well for the vert. I called and the said the sell spacers that lower the cross support a couple of inches to get them to work. I was a bit shocked so I'm going the custom route.

I think if you were considering the Pypes system, based on the price of it you might consider getting a custom job from a local exhaust shop - probably wind up being about the same amount or maybe even a bit less... with some local warranty as well.

Just a thought.

Back