how did you get your 7173 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had been drooling over a Porsche 356 replica that uses the motor from donor Subarus... But the waiting list is about 5 years.

So my attention started turning toward convertible muscle cars, and the first one to come along at the right time was the one in my avatar.

Here's my story summarized (kinda). And warning there is talk about Chevys in here, so don't hate me, I like all muscle cars.

It was always a fascination my father got me into and he died when I was 13 so I had to keep the dream we had alive of getting these classic muscle cars. Second year of high school I got a 2011 Camaro and was just that kid with the "sexy" car. And then my third year of high school, end of the year to the day school got out I was driving to my girlfriend's school to pick her up to hang out and I look in my rear view mirror and see this mustang behind me. I thought to myself, I know that's a mustang, but it's not a mustang, the headlights are wrong. I get into the right lane and the car catches up to me and we're side by side going down a highway, and I look down to the side of the car and I can make out the faded words GT500, and then it hit me. I was driving next to car history, a 1967 Shelby GT500 survivor.

Then the next day came and I was with my girlfriend again and we stopped to get gas (in my Camaro) and I hear that muscle car sound pulling in the gas station, and there was a 1969 Camaro SS, the guy pulled into next to me. There it was the first generation and fifth generation Camaros. So I took a picture and talked with the guy. And it was that night I decided to dedicate the summer to finding me a classic car. I was always looking for a classic '67-69 Camaro and every time I had a deal with the owner he'd back down. So now the first generation Camaros is a unicorn car to me, always alluding me.

Here's a photo of my Camaro and the '69 Camaro SS that started the search.

969702_654041734612730_362376505_n.jpg

So it was coming to the end of summer and I had a deal lined up for a '73 Conv Mustang and the owner had second thoughts about letting the car go because of people coming and looking at it and wanting to make it a drag car, so I got put down out of that deal because of other people's actions. And then about two days later, I find a '67 Camaro that just needed a little work for the right price, I had my cousin ready in his flatbed to head with me to get it and I receive the message "sold it" those words devastated me for a week.

Later my cousin saw that I was disappointed and let down, so he mentioned about having a '73 Mach 1 Mustang at his house that he recently replaced the gas tank in. I sat on it for a week and gave him a call and went to take a look at it. Thought two days about his price ($3,500, which is what he bought it for quite a while back, it was a 2 owner car before my cousin) and the car and called him back and told him it was a deal. The car has the original 351C 2V in it. The car was painted at some point so the markings were covered (which had my speculations about it not being a Mach 1 until I searched the VIN), but now it needs a new paint job, so they're coming back. The car has sunbaked interior so it needs to be replaced. But best of all, it has never left the county I live in. So I won't only be restoring a piece of Mustang history, but history of where I live. So it will be a great project car for me since it is now my last year of High School. And people around the community I have talked to about helping me with things I am unable to do are excited to be working on a classic car.

And here is a photo of my '73 Mach 1 Mustang. (And just so you know, I officially bought it Saturday. So I'm a new owner of an old car :p and I am starting to work on it little by little.)

IMG_6887.JPG

1973 MUSTANG MACH 1 COOL STORY, GLAD TO SEE YOUR PASSION FOR THE CLASSICS GLAD IS THE 7173 MUSTANGS,BUT IM LIKE YOU I LIKE A LOT OF CLASSICS THE CUDA,CHALLENGER,BUT LOVE MY MUSTANG

Back in 1989 my dad went to look at a 1958 Ford convertible like he had in high school. It was in a huge garage and I noticed a car in the center covered up but some yellow paint and side pipes were sticking out. I asked if I could look at it. Underneath was a grabber yellow 1971 Mach 1 with a 351C. It was a 19 year old boys dream car. We started it up and the sound of the side pipes had me sold. My dad and I made a package deal and both the cars were ours. Two years later the cops made me remove the pipes. I still have my first car to this day and I finally had it restored last year.

Back in 1989 my dad went to look at a 1958 Ford convertible like he had in high school. It was in a huge garage and I noticed a car in the center covered up but some yellow paint and side pipes were sticking out. I asked if I could look at it. Underneath was a grabber yellow 1971 Mach 1 with a 351C. It was a 19 year old boys dream car. We started it up and the sound of the side pipes had me sold. My dad and I made a package deal and both the cars were ours. Two years later the cops made me remove the pipes. I still have my first car to this day and I finally had it restored last year.
Congrats you lucky dog.:D

.... so don't hate me, I like all muscle cars.
That´s the spirit. Cool cars are not defined by brand but by appearance.

Chevelle SS, Chevy Nova, Olds 442, Mopars in general, Torinos, 7173 Mustangs.... bring them on! :)

@Luxstang, I know. I always see people arguing over what car is better because of who they're made by. My girlfriend and I started dating last November and she went from not knowing anything about cars to naming almost every Mopar there is. And it's always funny to see people argue what's better when every car is different. No two cars are exactly the same, and that's the way it should be.

All my brothers ( 4 of 'em) were taken out by my father when they were of driving age to pick out any car of thier choice ( within reason).

My father and brothers all had some cool cars when I was just the snot-nosed youngest boy of the bunch.

A nice Coronet 440 convertible, a Galaxie 500 fastback, an AMX, an Opel GT, a Sunbeam Alpine, Cougar XR7, Duster, Satellite Sebring, F-85, an awesome El Camino SS 396 (I wanted that one badly, but he traded it for the Cougar). There were others too.

My dad comes to me one day and says that super-cars are dead...there will be nothing but beat-up used cars available when I am old enough to drive. "So lets go get something now", he says. "It will stay in the garage until you are old enough to drive."

What gear-head kid could resist that offer?

And, so we did, and 40+ years later...I still have it.

Last edited:
With Aussie muscle cars now being pretty unaffordable American muscle is a cheap and very attractive option. Back in the 80s US muscle was expensive and our Falcon GTs,coupes, Monaros ,chargers ,toranas where cheap now these cost more than a SuperBird/Daytona or Shelby GT 500 or LS6 Chevelle. I love all muscle cars but must admit i am drawn more to the GM brand, Strangely I love oddball stuff like 68 69 428 pontiac Gand prix or 67 Buick GS 400s, 68 Olds Delta 88 coupe with a 455 (been in 1 with a joe mondello prepped engine awesome and then some) ,70 ss 454 monte carlos, mercury x100s, muscle barges if you will,as well as all the standards like chevelles camaros firebirds 442,torinos,cyclones etc. I have to confess mustangs have always been at the very bottom of the list of preferred muscle cars.so this time around i initially was going to buy a hemi orange 71 super bee but it turned out to be to rusty for my liking. I then looked at a 70 cougar eliminator 428 this turned out to be even rustier, that really shit me because I love those cats and hate to see one thats near beyond repair. I ended up just looking at my mach by chance and as soon as I seen it I know it would be coming home.

Here's my story summarized (kinda). And warning there is talk about Chevys in here, so don't hate me, I like all muscle cars.

It was always a fascination my father got me into and he died when I was 13 so I had to keep the dream we had alive of getting these classic muscle cars. Second year of high school I got a 2011 Camaro and was just that kid with the "sexy" car. And then my third year of high school, end of the year to the day school got out I was driving to my girlfriend's school to pick her up to hang out and I look in my rear view mirror and see this mustang behind me. I thought to myself, I know that's a mustang, but it's not a mustang, the headlights are wrong. I get into the right lane and the car catches up to me and we're side by side going down a highway, and I look down to the side of the car and I can make out the faded words GT500, and then it hit me. I was driving next to car history, a 1967 Shelby GT500 survivor.

Then the next day came and I was with my girlfriend again and we stopped to get gas (in my Camaro) and I hear that muscle car sound pulling in the gas station, and there was a 1969 Camaro SS, the guy pulled into next to me. There it was the first generation and fifth generation Camaros. So I took a picture and talked with the guy. And it was that night I decided to dedicate the summer to finding me a classic car. I was always looking for a classic '67-69 Camaro and every time I had a deal with the owner he'd back down. So now the first generation Camaros is a unicorn car to me, always alluding me.

Here's a photo of my Camaro and the '69 Camaro SS that started the search.

So it was coming to the end of summer and I had a deal lined up for a '73 Conv Mustang and the owner had second thoughts about letting the car go because of people coming and looking at it and wanting to make it a drag car, so I got put down out of that deal because of other people's actions. And then about two days later, I find a '67 Camaro that just needed a little work for the right price, I had my cousin ready in his flatbed to head with me to get it and I receive the message "sold it" those words devastated me for a week.

Later my cousin saw that I was disappointed and let down, so he mentioned about having a '73 Mach 1 Mustang at his house that he recently replaced the gas tank in. I sat on it for a week and gave him a call and went to take a look at it. Thought two days about his price ($3,500, which is what he bought it for quite a while back, it was a 2 owner car before my cousin) and the car and called him back and told him it was a deal. The car has the original 351C 2V in it. The car was painted at some point so the markings were covered (which had my speculations about it not being a Mach 1 until I searched the VIN), but now it needs a new paint job, so they're coming back. The car has sunbaked interior so it needs to be replaced. But best of all, it has never left the county I live in. So I won't only be restoring a piece of Mustang history, but history of where I live. So it will be a great project car for me since it is now my last year of High School. And people around the community I have talked to about helping me with things I am unable to do are excited to be working on a classic car.

And here is a photo of my '73 Mach 1 Mustang. (And just so you know, I officially bought it Saturday. So I'm a new owner of an old car :p and I am starting to work on it little by little.)
:cool: Dude I too love em all. I have never been able to work out how people can hate a great car just because of the badge

Last edited by a moderator:
My fascination with cars goes back as far as I can remember, even as a small boy I used to love the sound of V8's. My dad and his mates had hotted up cars and I just grew up around it all, as I got older I had older friends with hotted up and show cars and would some times get dropped off or picked up at school by some of my mates. As a 14/15 year old school kid a lot of my school friends would be in ore of what cars I'd be in. After school done the usual thing got a job and bought a car, actually bought a very worked motor and trans off one of my friends first then the car. Ended up working in an engine shop, did my apprenticeship and worked on/ built many race cars/engines. I always had fast cars as a young fella and loved it. One day just had enough of it all (for reasons we won't go into here) and got out of it all. So one day I thought I wouldn't mind building a nice cruiser. I located a 72 falcon coupe (always loved them and still do) and started locating parts. In 2009 I had a very serious workplace accident and had to sell it, as my insurance company had a stipulation that you only pay them and they don't pay you. Anyway when things got better financially, I would buy another car. As Luke mentioned in his post the price of our Aussie muscle cars are so overpriced nowadays, that the American stuff is such a bargain and you get more bang for your buck. Also Australia never made a convertible and I always wanted a convertible. So about 2 years ago I started looking. We looked at all sorts of things, 63/4 Galaxies, 60s Lincolns, a couple of Mopars and a 71 Buick GS stage 1 to name a few. I wasn't interested in 64-70 Mustangs as that there is that many around and I have always preferred the look of the 71-73s anyway. I was looking locally and in the US. Anyway I was looking in the US one day and came across a gold and black Q code convertible, I showed my wife and she really liked it, so it went into the maybe pile. After looking for quite a while I thought time to start inquiring about some of the ones we both liked, but the Mustang was gone. Oh well someone's bought it and that was that. Everything we liked was either sold, a pile of crap, or by the time we did the math to get it here it was more than what I wanted to spend. About 6 months or so later, I see a gold and black Q code for sale in Australia, could not believe it, has to be the same one. I show my wife and she thought I found it again in the US, then told her it was over here. Anyway the price at first was a bit high, so the search went on. I was getting a bit over spending money on getting reports done on so called good cars in the US that I decided to find something here that I can see. Cars came and went, that same Mustang was still for sale but was still a bit high in price. One day I see that the car has dropped a fair bit, still a little bit more than what I wanted spend but with a bit of haggling and my wife saying we could stretch the budget a bit more if it was the car I wanted, I thought why not. So the next day we were working down near where the car was for sale, after we finished we called him and went to look at the car. It was in the back of the shed behind a heap of cars, I said can we get it outside for a look, the battery was flat and he didn't seem too interested in getting the car going or out, so we left. A couple of days later we had a job postponed so we went to look at a 60s Lincoln, not a bad car just needed paint as it was a bit thin on the edges, so I made him an offer but he said it wasn't enough (the car was advertised a few weeks later for a grand less than what I offered him) so my wife says what about the Mustang. I thought well if the guy selling wasn't too interested the other day than what's the use. I ended up calling him and said I was the guy from the other day that looked at the Mustang. Well it was like I was talking to a different person, I asked if he could get the car going and have it outside for a look, no problem he says, so down we went. When we arrived he was busy with someone else, so I could look around the car without anyone annoying me. I notice a few small things and when he's finished he comes out and starts talking, telling me how great the car is, but when I start point things out, he comes clean on some other small things. All right time to go for a test drive, first thing though we need fuel as it's on empty. After putting in some fuel he asks if I want to have a drive, I said no as everyone on the Gold Coast drives like it's a racetrack and I don't want to be in an accident in someone else's car. I sat in the passengers seat listening and taking note of things, we get back after about half an hour or so and I said give me some time to discuss it with my wife. She absolutely loves it and asks what I think of it, I tell her what I found with it but said it drove well and the things I found are nothing overly major or were going to affect the car too much. So the haggling went on and at the end got it for less than it was advertised for, complianced, registered and a brand new roof and back glass as well. As for if it was the same car I saw advertised in the US we're unsure of, as I met the guy who imported it in from the US at a car show last year on the Coast and I said that I thought that I had seen advertised over there and I thought it was him that bought it. He told me that he bought it over there while holidaying and that it was advertised in a local paper, but was no mention of it being a Q code it was only when he saw the VIN that he realised what he was looking at. I told him that it was online as a Q code but I could not remember which state it was advertised but I thought that it was around that way where he got it from. We both agreed that this was highly possible then as there was not a lot of these cars built and to have 2 cars the same, for sale and disappear from sale at the same time was highly unlikely. We like to think that this car was destined to be with us.

easter sunday in chicago was such a beautiful day,high 70s had the windows open and thinking about my car it has been in the shop for a couple weeks getting the floors and inner rockers installed and i heard the roar of a v8 almost had whiplash trying to see what it was,my wife starts laughing telling me dont hurt myself i moved so fast,but what im trying to say is no matter were your at you can tell when a american v8 muscle car is passing by just by that sweet sound so many ricers try to duplacate.

image.jpgI'd been looking for a 67 fairlane, I couldn't really find anything worth what they wanted for it. My brother called and said he found my car car,but it was a 72 mach1, I wasn't really too excited but looked at pictures of it, called the guy, apparantly his fiancé had just left him and he wanted to get rid of the car she loved. Decided to go look at it (16 hours awAy) and came with an all original h code, sheet metal 's all original other than one front fender, floor pans original, still had/has the original am radio. I always hated these cars(like so many do) but these cars are amazing, so glad I purchased, just too bad it doesn't fit the whole family but it gives my boy and I some time bonding at the car shows or just cruising around

My dad is an HVAC salesman and got called to a house for a quote. The owners already had some air conditioners and just needed someone to install them, when they took him into the garage to see the air conditioners, there sat my 1971 mustang. My dad offered to do the job in exchange for the car and the deal was made!

33529890044_original.jpg

I grew up around various muscle cars and their clones. However, I was always a devote GM man. Especially, Pontiac GTO. Even had a 1970 Judge for over 20 years. My two sons ended up buying Ford F150s to fix up and drive and really liked how they performed (for trucks that is). Then my daughter was turning 16 and she said she really liked a Mustang. No particular year, just a classic. Thus the search started.

I found a 1973 Grande on CL but was surprised to find that the car was litterly in the weeds. Getting it out of the weeds I carefully examined the body. Surprisingly, the exterior was in great shape, the frames were solid, and trunk looked good. However, the floor boards are toast and need replacing. I showed my daughter and she fell in love with the body style of the coupe. She did not like the interior (was well worn and weathered poorly). But she got a chance to see what a finished interior for the Grande Deluxe looks like and that is what she wants. I have been converted from the dark side (thanks to the GM bailouts irritating me and vowing me to never buy another GM).

What really got me converted was when my son decided he wanted a Mustang similar to his sisters. He found one in the hills of WV. It was in pieces and was more than we should of paid, but it seems to be working out OK. He is excited to work on it when weather and school permits. My daughter is anxious to get started on her 1973. I promised to handle the welding and painting, but she has to help with the mechanical and interior work.

Seems the Mustang bug is adicting. Seeing the many examples here is making me consider looking for a 71-73 convertable. I think I will be a little more picky and look for a better start and a Mach 1 for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded my pristine 1966 hardtop GT for my 1972 MACH1 in 1984 it was an even trade 1 for 1 and even though my wife and father and friends thought i was nuts I've never regretted it. Now they all think my car is awesome..... so do i. We've been together for 30 years in August and i still get goose bumps when ever i get behind the wheel.

I went to buy a 1969 Mach 1 (my ultimate dream car then) and when I got there it was gone. However, the guy had a pristine 429SCJ 4 speed Torino and a wrecked 1972 Mustang. He gave me my choice, I could have either one for $2000.00. I was 17 and as appealing as the SCJ was, it still looked like a "big" car to a little kid. (Boy was I dumb) So, I bought the Mustang and a love affair began. (Did I mention how dumb I was?)

Back