how did you get your 7173 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 72 back in high school. Solid black no stripes, chrome 5 spokes and side pipes. My brother bought it back in 77 or 78. He found a trans am he liked so my dad bought the 72 from him and let me make 100 a month payments. For a guy that was driving a yellow VW bug at the time I stepped up in a big way. Lost my innocence in that car too.

Now that's a good thread "Who lost their innocence in a Mustang?". LMAO

Never seen this thread before and read it all... Here's my story. Was always a Chevy guy and had a 69 Camaro SS Indy Pace Convertible as a daily driver in high school. There was a White 71 Mach 1 at school that I thought was about the coolest car I'd ever seen and that made me just like the 7173 body style. Fast forward 30+ years and I'm at a dinner party in 2011 and this older gentleman arrives there in a 73 coupe. It was the first Fatstang I'd seen in decades. I kinda tracked the car for a couple of years and then approached his son about it and got the story. His dad had bought it new for him while he was in college. He drove it several years then gave it back to his dad. His dad kept it around as an extra car all these years. I asked him what he was going to do with the car when his dad was no longer driving. He said he didn't want it, didn't care anything about it even though it was his first new car. He let me come look at it (buried in the garage) and told me it's story having been a FoMoCo company car that his dad bought directly from Ford in Dearborn and drove home to Dallas. I asked about buying at some point when they decided to get rid of it and he said he'd run it past his dad. I kept in touch for a while but wasn't hearing anything, didn't want to be a pest, and about gave up on it. I started looking at other options to get me a classic play car. I had the son on the phone three years after first trying to buy the car and he mentions the car being in the way and needing it gone. I reminded him I still was interested in it. By this time it had been parked for 5 years and wasn't in running order even though it has been garaged most of its life. I asked what they needed for it and was told "if we could get 5 or 600 bucks for it we'd be thrilled. I couldn't get the rollback to Dallas fast enough! The car is an all original, well maintained and kept 302V8/C4/PS/PB Grande coupe with records of everything all the way back to the warranty plate and Dearborn dealer that handled the paperwork. The "transportation Services" DSO and original Ford Company Car Handbook verify it was indeed a FoMoCo company car as told. I drug it home, cleaned the fuel system and put a hot battery in it and cranked it up. I put on new wheels and tires and I've been tweaking it here and there. It's a pretty good driver! Come this June we're going to run it in the Hot Rod Power Tour. Hard to believe, but I'm really gonna power tour in a $600 car!

image.jpg

Best 600.00 bucks you'll ever spend.

There's just something I can't explain about the 71-73 Mustang that draws you in I fell for the body style the first time I ever saw it but it's more then just that. The more I look at them the more I love them. Every time I see one I find something more I like about them it could be just a body line or the dashboard or something even less significant. I had owned two other Mustangs a 65 and a 66 but never did I feel the same about them. When I bought my 72 I knew it was the one. A keeper. Most people who knew me and my other Mustangs thought I was nuts to trade for my 66 for the 72 but I could see the potential and remembered how it looked when it was brand new. It had been ordered from the local Ford dealer by a guy who was a local celebrity (DJ at the local radio station). I used to see it parked in the street across from the YMCA on Friday nights and I wanted it so badly but I was 16 and broke. Fast forward to 1984. I was working for Coca Cola and delivering to a used car dealer/ body shop and saw it sitting in a rather sad shape on his lot. It looked so forlorn sitting there. I was sure it was the same car even though it was in such bad condition I just had to buy it. I talked to the guy who owned the shop and he told me he wanted 3500.00 for it. Well later that day I stopped by this time I had my 66 Mustang with me and when I left we had cut a deal on a one for one swap and he was going to do some much needed repairs as well before I would take delivery. Well that's pretty much how I finally got the car I wanted when I was 16 and now at age 60 I still love it and continue to try to make it look like it first did when she was brand new parked outside the YMCA. What a Soap Opera story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just discoverd this thread...

At age 32 I still had no license simply because I never needed one (living in the city that I do) and didn't want to fork out the money. Then I moved to Adelaide in Australia with my gf at the time and things were a little different overthere, space wise. Probably like in the USA. So I passed my theory and my driving test both the first time on my birthday in 2008. We drove one of my inlaw's cars (Hyundai Excel, couldn't even overtake a bloody truck going uphill...). We broke up and I moved back to clog-country. My aussie license ain't valid here and it felt like a step back so I decided to give it a go and I managed to also pass the theory and driving test here in one go. That's kinda cool I think :)

I had made good money in Aus but since it all ended so absolutely shit (I needed time with a shrink to get my head sorted out after this adventure) I figured I should treat myself to something nice. In Australia I had seen this '73 Mach 1 on a show somewhere:

600242_4287992761845_1121109621_n.jpg

So I figured I'd get me some of that. Not that I needed a car but I wanted to have something to play with.

In 2013 I started looking and saw this ructbucket:

DSCF0304.JPG

Looks OK from your seat but trust me, total crap.

Then I went to see this one:

DSCF0529.JPG

The guy was a mechanic at a local Harley dealership and told me all proud how he drove it all through the winter. I could stick my finger in one of the doors and tickle the inside. I left it, thankfully.

Then I came across this '73 Grande:

IMG_0272.JPG

It was solid, it ran OK, hardly any rust and I liked it. So I got it for a very good price (7K euros). I drove it home and the first thing I did was paint the bumper. Second I pulled out the LPG setup and I've been doing little things since :)

So I can say that my first car is a '73 Mustang :)

I have your twin. I work as a valet driver for a local Audi dealer and I delivered a car back to a customer. In his garage was a very clean low mileage 1972 Q code 4 sp. I commented to the owner how nice it was so he explained to me the rairity of the car and I commented I was looking for my next classic. He explained the car was for sale so we made a deal on the spot. No regrets it is a nice car.

Rodney from SW Florida

Like your phrase, 'Drive it like you stole it'! That's how I've been driving mine, like I stole it from the devil himself since 2003 and he is still on my tail, per se. As a Q code 4 sp like your's just could not leave it alone and began the modifications from a Q-R Code, better looking paint as opposed to the Wimbeldon White, to the mustang 1995 code for Special White, power disc all around @ 10.5" then a 11" disc upgrade on the Clutch assembly (Heavy Duty).......see my photo album, photographed every step of its restore and mod from ground up. Most definitely to be in for time trials at the local trac this year.

well,let me be the first to start,i been wanting a classic mustang for about 7 years ,so in 2010 i thougt it was time to start looking,it took a while i looked at many mustangs of our years but they need so much work,than i found her for sale in dekalb,il about a hour out side chicago in a old barn,it was stored for 15 years only 2 owners,it was good shape and had good bones but needed everything new except the body that was solid,so i made a deal for $3800 and got her home and now all the extra money i get goes to makeing her look good,as you all know its a long proscess of alittle work here and alittle work there, its a work in progess,and i love.thanks Ron

please share your story long or short!

world ass transmission 108.JPG

I have your twin. I work as a valet driver for a local Audi dealer and I delivered a car back to a customer. In his garage was a very clean low mileage 1972 Q code 4 sp. I commented to the owner how nice it was so he explained to me the rairity of the car and I commented I was looking for my next classic. He explained the car was for sale so we made a deal on the spot. No regrets it is a nice car.

Rodney from SW Florida

Like your phrase, 'Drive it like you stole it'! That's how I've been driving mine, like I stole it from the devil himself since 2003 and he is still on my tail, per se. As a Q code 4 sp like your's just could not leave it alone and began the modifications from a Q-R Code, better looking paint as opposed to the Wimbeldon White, to the mustang 1995 code for Special White, power disc all around @ 10.5" then a 11" disc upgrade on the Clutch assembly (Heavy Duty).......see my photo album, photographed every step of its restore and mod from ground up. Most definitely to be in for time trials at the local trac this year.

well,let me be the first to start,i been wanting a classic mustang for about 7 years ,so in 2010 i thougt it was time to start looking,it took a while i looked at many mustangs of our years but they need so much work,than i found her for sale in dekalb,il about a hour out side chicago in a old barn,it was stored for 15 years only 2 owners,it was good shape and had good bones but needed everything new except the body that was solid,so i made a deal for $3800 and got her home and now all the extra money i get goes to makeing her look good,as you all know its a long proscess of alittle work here and alittle work there, its a work in progess,and i love.thanks Ron

please share your story long or short!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back