how did you get your 7173 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My late boyfriend and I were coming back from Chryslers at Carlisle (he was the Mopar king, with 43 cars in his possession when he died). We were staying at my sisters house in WV, and before leaving for home, we stopped for breakfast.

They have a little newspaper there with local ads, and I was looking through it while waiting for breakfast to be served. I saw an ad for a 71 Mustang 429 $4500. I didn't hesitate to call! I remembered a yellow Mach 1 from when I was a kid and I always loved it.

The car was about an hour south (home was 4 hours NORTH!) down around Winchester, Va. We drove down, back into the woods, and here is this big house, with about 6 old cars in various states of repair. The Mustang was exactly what I had always wanted: an M code, AC, power windows, rear defroster. It needed some work but we made a deal for $4000, and also bought one of his other vehicles, a couple of engines and such.

We drove back down with the trailer several weeks later. Six months later, he passed away, and his family gave me the car and all the parts we had bought for it. I finished restoring it, and now his photo rides shotgun!

My late boyfriend and I were coming back from Chryslers at Carlisle (he was the Mopar king, with 43 cars in his possession when he died). We were staying at my sisters house in WV, and before leaving for home, we stopped for breakfast.

They have a little newspaper there with local ads, and I was looking through it while waiting for breakfast to be served. I saw an ad for a 71 Mustang 429 $4500. I didn't hesitate to call! I remembered a yellow Mach 1 from when I was a kid and I always loved it.

The car was about an hour south (home was 4 hours NORTH!) down around Winchester, Va. We drove down, back into the woods, and here is this big house, with about 6 old cars in various states of repair. The Mustang was exactly what I had always wanted: an M code, AC, power windows, rear defroster. It needed some work but we made a deal for $4000, and also bought one of his other vehicles, a couple of engines and such.

We drove back down with the trailer several weeks later. Six months later, he passed away, and his family gave me the car and all the parts we had bought for it. I finished restoring it, and now his photo rides shotgun!
Really cool and kinda sad story too. 43 cars yep that would make him the Mopar King.

I have loved Mustangs since I was 10 years old or so. My first was a 65 coupe when I was 19. It was a 289 C-code (2 barrel) auto with factory A/C and pony interior. I sold my 82 F150 to buy it. 3 years later I sold it for more reliable transportation when my daughter was born. It was 20 years later when I finally owned another Mustang, a brand new 2013 Boss 302. All that time I had the itch for another classic but it was just never the right time to own one until February of this year. I had been leaning towards buying a boat but luckily came to my senses and decided to buy an old Mustang.

I have always liked the 71 to 73 cars and after doing research I knew I wanted a 71 and it had to at least be a 351 and had to be a manual. So I started looking on the internet finally making a deal for my car through ebay. I was a bit nervous o us b u young it sight unseen so I contracted an inspection company to check it out for me and pulled the trigger. Took 3 weeks to get it to Texas as it was in Michigan and winter was in full swing. I fell in love with her the day she was delivered.

I have since traded my Boss for a 12 GT500 and while it is an awesome car it doesn't touch my soul the way my 71 convertible does!

I have loved Mustangs since I was 10 years old or so. My first was a 65 coupe when I was 19. It was a 289 C-code (2 barrel) auto with factory A/C and pony interior. I sold my 82 F150 to buy it. 3 years later I sold it for more reliable transportation when my daughter was born. It was 20 years later when I finally owned another Mustang, a brand new 2013 Boss 302. All that time I had the itch for another classic but it was just never the right time to own one until February of this year. I had been leaning towards buying a boat but luckily came to my senses and decided to buy an old Mustang.

I have always liked the 71 to 73 cars and after doing research I knew I wanted a 71 and it had to at least be a 351 and had to be a manual. So I started looking on the internet finally making a deal for my car through ebay. I was a bit nervous o us b u young it sight unseen so I contracted an inspection company to check it out for me and pulled the trigger. Took 3 weeks to get it to Texas as it was in Michigan and winter was in full swing. I fell in love with her the day she was delivered.

I have since traded my Boss for a 12 GT500 and while it is an awesome car it doesn't touch my soul the way my 71 convertible does!
71 Convertible..... if it was an ebay car...I probably saw it, I've been looking for a 71 Vert. POST THE PIC!!!:D

Wife said we needed a second car. I figured I could spend the money on something boring for her like a used camry, or spend it on something cool for me and give her the other car :D. Ended up finding a good driver 72 coupe with minimal rust on Craigslist and here I am!

71 Convertible..... if it was an ebay car...I probably saw it, I've been looking for a 71 Vert. POST THE PIC!!!:D
I've posted before. Here she is with her new shoes (don't worry, I've cleaned the green off the white letters since then!)

10452459_10204254563753101_8193739502565519366_n.jpg

I recently added the Magnum 500s and have had quite a bit of work done to her since buying her in February. Driving this car makes me happy like almost nothing else in my life does!

Here she is the day she arrived:

10398076_10203984273356010_3556885180533267033_n.jpg

Good job !!!! I like the "NEW" look with the CORRECT wheels just makes her that much more beautiful. i'm a bit of a snob on our cars and I didnt like the old wheels at all. Good vision you had there.

Good job !!!! I like the "NEW" look with the CORRECT wheels just makes her that much more beautiful. i'm a bit of a snob on our cars and I didnt like the old wheels at all. Good vision you had there.
Thanks. I think the 500's are the way to go with these cars. Just looks so right. Although the slots on a 73 look really good too.

Black Betty the first day.

077.jpg
There is something very modern-looking about the '71-73s when all windows are down and the drip rail isn't present, even though the A-pillar angle should date it.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
shiny.jpgDad bought it for his secretary in 73. She became my mother in 1980... When he passed away in 2006 I began restoring the car as a memorial.

Dad bought it for his secretary in 73. She became my mother in 1980... When he passed away in 2006 I began restoring the car as a memorial.
Great story. Since this is your first post please post an introduction thread too!

My current Mustang, my fourth was found accidentally, in part by my wife. We were in a flea market, and she tripped over something at one of the booths, stood up and saw a little cardboard sign, no bigger than 8" x 4" advertising the car for sale , only $1500! The vendor/ owner was 87 at the time, so I knew I had to act quick. I went to see it during the week; it was sitting in the woods for 6 years, uncovered.

A week later, I went back, and we tried to start it with a friend of his, it came real close to staring but didn't. He said he would call me when he got it running. He never did. The following summer I decided I wanted the car regardless, and fortunately found him again in the flea market, still alive and still with a71 Mustang Coupe,351c for sale. We haggled a tad, and I got it for $1400.

My current Mustang, my fourth was found accidentally, in part by my wife. We were in a flea market, and she tripped over something at one of the booths, stood up and saw a little cardboard sign, no bigger than 8" x 4" advertising the car for sale , only $1500! The vendor/ owner was 87 at the time, so I knew I had to act quick. I went to see it during the week; it was sitting in the woods for 6 years, uncovered.

A week later, I went back, and we tried to start it with a friend of his, it came real close to staring but didn't. He said he would call me when he got it running. He never did. The following summer I decided I wanted the car regardless, and fortunately found him again in the flea market, still alive and still with a71 Mustang Coupe,351c for sale. We haggled a tad, and I got it for $1400.
okay THAT is a cool story!

My dad bought the car for me and him when I was 13 years old. We were going to restore it as a father and son project. A year after it arrived to Denmark from Oakland Ca, he bought a 1970 Coupe from California and then the 1973 was mine!

It all began back in 2004, I was only 11 or 12 years old. My interest for classic american cars startet and was just getting bigger and bigger for every day! We saw a 1972 fastback project for sale here in Denmark, it was sold in Denmark from new, so it has been trought all the bad winters we have here. We bought the car, but gave up on it a year after, because the car was so bad in every corner. It would have been to expensive to restore the car, because all the sheetmetal was to bad and every parts needed to be replaced! The car ended at the junkyard :(

So now we had to find another car. We were looking in a long time and it was really hard to find the right one to buy! But then it happened. We found a really nice 1973 Sportsroof in California via a danish guy. He had a company where he bought classic cars and exported them to Denmark.

Well, I was on a trip for five days with my school. When I came back home from the trip, my mom and dad picked me up at the train station. No one was saying anything in the car and I could'nt understand it, something was wrong here :D When we got home I opened the door to the garage and quess what? The 1973 Sportroof my dad and I had talked so much about was standing behind that door. I was speakless!!! Woooow. My dad had not said anything to me about it and it was just unbelivable that he could keep this secret from me. What a surprice! I was so lucky that day, it was one of the best days in my life! 13 years old and my dream came true!

I still have the car 9 years later and I will never sell it, NEVER!

This is my story about how I got my car, hope you like it. I hope you understand what I am writing :)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing a fantastic story with your Mustangs. It sounds like you have a great family there who loves to share and with common interests.

Sorry about the '72 Mustang. That would have been a big disappointment for your dad. Also, you write a very good letter, and your english is really great as well. I hope you and your family continue to enjoy the cars well into the future.

All the best,

Greg.:)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing a fantastic story with your Mustangs. It sounds like you have a great family there who loves to share and with common interests.

Sorry about the '72 Mustang. That would have been a big disappointment for your dad. Also, you write a very good letter, and your english is really great as well. I hope you and your family continue to enjoy the cars well into the future.

All the best,

Greg.:)
Yes it's a fantastic family, it's so nice we share the same interest. My dad now have a 1971 original Mach 1 he is restoring. So it is really fun when we are working in the garage at the same time :)

Yes it was a sad lost, because it was our first Mustang. Thank you, I'm glad to hear that!

I will promise that we will, I will have my car till the end! :)

And all the best to you Greg

Daniel

Back