how many of them are left

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramair

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe 351W
1973 Cougar Convertible(sold)
1966 Mercury Comet 202
1985 F150 4X4
1989 Mercury Cougar XR7
1962 Ford Fairlane
So how many 71-73 Mustang coupes are left that have not faced being parted out or sent to the crusher. The fastbacks and convertibles are more popular, so one must ask how many of them are left. When Ford built the 71-73 Mustangs they produced more coupes than fastbacks and convertibles. Over the years the coupes usually faced the wrath of becoming parts cars to the less produced fastbacks and verts. As I have recently observed, if you see a 71-73 Mustang, it is most likely a fastback or a convertible. Back in the eighties I use to see quite a few 71-73 coupes, but as time has progressed I see less of them. The fastbacks, and verts use to be the rare ones, now it seems if you see a 71-73 coupe it is the rare one. I am going to step out on a limb here and say that there are probably less coupes now than there are fastbacks and verts. So what does everybody else have to say about this subject?

I totally agree! Same situation here on Oahu. If I find them, they're either fastbacks or verts. Can't remember the last time I've seen a coupe here on the Island.

I have no idea about how many are left but, I did see an original owner 1972 red Spring Sports Special at a car show yesterday. It wasn't perfect but in very good shape. Chuck

I see a few coupes around locally...but not many! I can't wait to get mine on the road!

I live in Houston and I have never seen another coupe on the road. I have seen plenty in peoples yards falling apart and even one in a body shop being worked on but never one on the road.

This Grande was for sale last year in my area; someone bought it, but not sure what they are doing with it. I see a coupe at a show on occassion, not sure where they all went to!

LeftSide.jpg

I've sent at least six 71-3 coupes to the crusher myself, plus a 71 sportsroof, a 73 Mach 1 and two 73 convertibles.

Believe me when I say that when I was done, every usable part had been saved.

So how many 71-73 Mustang coupes are left that have not faced being parted out or sent to the crusher. The fastbacks and convertibles are more popular, so one must ask how many of them are left. When Ford built the 71-73 Mustangs they produced more coupes than fastbacks and convertibles. Over the years the coupes usually faced the wrath of becoming parts cars to the less produced fastbacks and verts. As I have recently observed, if you see a 71-73 Mustang, it is most likely a fastback or a convertible. Back in the eighties I use to see quite a few 71-73 coupes, but as time has progressed I see less of them. The fastbacks, and verts use to be the rare ones, now it seems if you see a 71-73 coupe it is the rare one. I am going to step out on a limb here and say that there are probably less coupes now than there are fastbacks and verts. So what does everybody else have to say about this subject?

I totally agree! Same situation here on Oahu. If I find them, they're either fastbacks or verts. Can't remember the last time I've seen a coupe here on the Island.
Well .... I don't see that here in Texas. I see more coupes than fastbacks. I've seen a few convertibles. I second favorite is a 351 Ram Air convertible...awesome looking car.

Hey Fas TnNef...... I may be in your area in December. If plans work out, I'll give you a shout!!

I never saw a coupe till this year when the guy

I bought the convertible off had one

since then Ive noticed about half a dozen at car shows

they were probably around just didnt see them

plenty of fastbacks though

John

This observation pertains to the 73 Convertible only.

If I remember correctly, there were only 292 Q code, 4 Speed, 73's made.

This is a very low number build--The Build number is as it should be, Body, Engine, Trans. Not the NEW notion, Color, Radio knob grooves, Chrome strips, Interior color VS outside color, a 1 of 15 Built, etc. The new numbers do not make a rare car, they make a person feel good.

Side note--Dumb a-- me, I crushed 17, 71-73 in about 86 at one time!

Dan @ Chockostang

I am guilty myself for sending them to the crushers, I sent three coupes and two Mach 1's to their graves. This is just 71-73 Mustangs, I sent many other classics to their early graves.

I know of 5 Coupes and 2 73 Convertibles that I see regularly. But this is San Diego Theirs allot of classics driving around. Mostly mustangs and VW Bugs. One of the Coupes is a Sprint. I have parted out / scraped a 73 Coupe 72 Grande 72 Sprint Sport roof and my currant parts cars are 72 Mach 1 73 Coupe. The 73 Coupe won't be around for to long. I parted out my 70 Mach 1 when I was 17. This one hurt it was a 351c 4v fmx 391 trac loc shaker hood with a/c ( OUCH ) it still hurts.

I've sent at least six 71-3 coupes to the crusher myself, plus a 71 sportsroof, a 73 Mach 1 and two 73 convertibles.

Believe me when I say that when I was done, every usable part had been saved.
I would think that that right there is a primary reason we see so few coupes these days. While I'd never say they are not as pretty as a Sportsroof or convertible (shoot, I've owned three coupes [two Grande's] in my time) I will say they are just not as desirable and they usually end up being cannibalized to help rebuild the Sportsroof and convertible models.

Who knows, maybe the market will pick up on this and the price of a coupe will skyrocket past the others!

iLL DIE BEFORE i LET MY COUPE GET SCRAPPED.. COUPES FOR DIVERSITY AND FOR THE WIN.

Back