How to access top fender extension attachment nut

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a tip to gain access to the top front fender extension nut. My extensions need to be tightened. The two side nuts seem to be 7/16 but seems that you would need an extremely thin walled, deep socket and most likely a shorty 1/4" drive ratchet with about a 3" extension. A standard deep socket seems too thick walled to get it fully on the crap nut.

The top one seems impossible to access while the fender is on the body. Maybe I need to buy a 1/4" swivel but before I go and buy one, can someone shed some light on this. I don't see any access holes.

eddyw posted this pic to another thread last week and it reminded me to ask for help...

front fender extensions.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great question.

I put mine on before installing the headlight buckets, grille, and bumper, so it was pretty easy (using the 7/16" thin-walled 1/4" ratchet with a medium extension and a wobble). :cool:

It'll be interesting to hear of an answer/procedure, since I'm sure I'll need to tighten mine up eventually, and don't have to necessarily have to pull the bumper, grille, and headlight buckets to do so. ;) :D

Is there a tip to gain access to the top front fender extension nut. My extensions need to be tightened. The two side nuts seem to be 7/16 but seems that you would need an extremely thin walled, deep socket and most likely a shorty 1/4" drive ratchet with about a 3" extension. A standard deep socket seems too thick walled to get it fully on the crap nut.

The top one seems impossible to access while the fender is on the body. Maybe I need to buy a 1/4" swivel but before I go and buy one, can someone shed some light on this. I don't see any access holes.

eddyw posted this pic to another thread last week and it reminded me to ask for help...
...is there anybody out there?...is there anyone at home?

I know that I installed mine after the fender was installed because the car was painted with the fenders on and the extensions were painted separately and I didn't have any issues with it. If I remember correctly I used a small 1/4" ratchet and socket. There were 2 plastic covers inside the fender that was removed to get access to all the nuts. The grille, headlight buckets were removed so I had easy access. If I had issues I would have remembered it.

EBSTANG,

The grill is going to have to be removed. I just installed my grill recently and realized I forgot to install the plastic inserts. Uh oh! I may go back and remove the grill to install them before I finish up the front end.

mustang7173

Latest posts

Back