Hydroboost Brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd add a visual aid that I found on another forum. I'm thinking that a power steering fluid cooler might be a good addition to the circuit, perhaps between the steering rack/box and the "tee fitting."

hydro.jpg
I too have checked around on other forums. I haven't seen any one using a

cooler, not even on a stock setup. Might not be a bad idea tho.
I'm sure it wouldn't be needed for most guys, and it might be overkill, but it seems like it would be a good measure toward the protection of the system's longevity. A lot of left/right action (autocross or road course, for instance) could get that fluid really boiling. Running that hot fluid through a cooler, like the built-in transmission fluid cooler of an AT radiator, before dumping it back into the reservoir, could really save the PS pump.

all this to have better power assist on your brakes? and here I am thinking of converting to manual 4 wheel disc brakes. . . it surely takes different strokes doesn't it? Next thing you know you'll have traction control and anti lock.
Yeah... no kidding. And Bluetooth with Sync, heated seats and mirrors, and a rear defroster that actually works, too. :rolleyes: :D

haha. I'm doing it because its cheap. I got mine for $100.00 Came with master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Just a few extra hoses and its done. Better then stock and... no worries about not having enough vacuum

because of a big cam...

all this to have better power assist on your brakes? and here I am thinking of converting to manual 4 wheel disc brakes. . . it surely takes different strokes doesn't it? Next thing you know you'll have traction control and anti lock.
I would put my 4 wheel manual disc against any on here:D

Thought I'd add a visual aid that I found on another forum. I'm thinking that a power steering fluid cooler might be a good addition to the circuit, perhaps between the steering rack/box and the "tee fitting."

hydro.jpg
Duh, I wasn't aware my 04 Mach 1 had hydroboost brakes! :huh:

I think some of you guys are putting me on. I really don't see the hydroboost brakes as all that trick. It's a way to have power assist when under hood space is cramped, or when a cam is used that might not provide enough vacuum for the more traditional power brake setup. In my estimation, it seems about as trick as using an overdrive transmission instead of a 4-speed.

I think some of you guys are putting me on. I really don't see the hydroboost brakes as all that trick. It's a way to have power assist when under hood space is cramped, or when a cam is used that might not provide enough vacuum for the more traditional power brake setup. In my estimation, it seems about as trick as using an overdrive transmission instead of a 4-speed.
I would have to agree. Its been around awhile too, its nothing new or fancy.

And for the cost why not? Like i said before... soon as I finish the last bit of wiring i have left, I'll post a few pix of the hydro install.

Sounds like a good idea to me for a restomod! Build it the way you want it.

I would have to agree. Its been around awhile too, its nothing new or fancy.

And for the cost why not? Like i said before... soon as I finish the last bit of wiring i have left, I'll post a few pix of the hydro install.
Yep, it's been around for a long time. A quick Google search showed me that hydroboost 4-wheel disc brakes were standard on the 1975 Lincoln Continental. I'll be looking forward to your install pics. Thanks, again.

I finally got a tool made to get the nut off the hydroboost. Thanks pops.

Still need to get the mounting plate made or mod the old one. more pix soon.

2ue5vyb.jpg

put my hydroboost and master cylinder from a 04 mustang in the 71 today.

had to fill in the old bolt holes on the mounting plat and drill new ones (easy). After remounting the plate i notice one of the holes was completely covered by the hydroboost unit it self. No room for the nut to go at all.

I shaved about half the head off the bolt then cut a sliver off a 2" alu. pipe to make a shim/washer/spacer to push the mounting bracket away from the hydroboost. First try this made room the bolt and a lock washer.

Everything fits nicely. No problems with alignment of the petal at all.

Sorry the pic is kinda crummy... ill work for more in better light.

72bmde.jpg

I have a 'full size jeep' and belong to a few forums. I have not upgraded to hydroboost but it is a popular upgrade for the off road guys with the big tires. You get a LOT more line pressure with hydroboost compared to a vacuum assist.

So be careful guys. We are running 40 year old brake systems. They were designed for the pressures of a vacuum assist system. If you hydroboost make sure the rest of your brake system is up to snuff. I would consider replacing the 40 year old hard lines and use braided or at least new rubber lines for the fronts.

The other options some of the guys use is a electric 'vacuum' pump to augment the brakes. One advantage for them is it works even if the engine dies. This can happen if you are climbing/decending a nasty hill. Hydroboost doesn't boost if the engine dies. with vacuum assist you get 'one last shot' at it.

I know we live under different rules than the 4x4 crowd so I am just sharing some thoughts.

had to fill in the old bolt holes on the mounting plat and drill new ones (easy). After remounting the plate i notice one of the holes was completely covered by the hydroboost unit it self. No room for the nut to go at all.

I shaved about half the head off the bolt then cut a sliver off a 2" alu. pipe to make a shim/washer/spacer to push the mounting bracket away from the hydroboost. First try this made room the bolt and a lock washer.

72bmde.jpg
The big question. Does it work?

72bmde.jpg
The big question. Does it work?
I really wont know how well it works till the whole system is set up. I do know it sprays brake fluid everywhere when you hit the pedal with your head while under the dash tightening the bolts down..

Back