I don't remember these in my 71C ,V/covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Just a quick Q&A.

I bought this set of 351C valve covers from a guy in our A&W group, needing "gas money", the other night. They're in okay condition, but a bit cruddy on the inside and in need of stripping and painting.

Not a big problem, but what I did notice and I can't remember off hand, there are baffles welded on the inside, see picture. I don't recall these on my orig. 71. They must be a later year, but what year? Or, am I going senile!

BTW, I may sell them once they're cleaned and in high heat primer. One cover did have the original rubber twist-in grommet, but is hard and nfg now.

PM me if interested.

Geoff.

There are dripper fingers for the adjustable rocker set up, like in the Ausie motors. both 71 and 72 R codes had them in the alum covers used on those car.

Mark

P.S. It's kind of funny, people remove them for use of ROLLER ROCKERS......so there are "fingers" available. (You wouldn't think that would be the case with a 40 year old parts removed. (want to see?)

Geoff, what you have there are 1970 only valve covers for the hydraulic lifter 351C. Ford didn't start using the rocker arm mounted oil baffle until 1971. The 69 Boss 302 used a chrome version of that valve cover and the 70 Boss 302 and 71-72 "R" 351 used the aluminum covers with the baffles. I had a 6/70 built 70 Torino GT that had the 71 style valve covers with the rocker arm mounted baffles, so as usual there will always be some variances when changes are made at the end or start of a production year.

Defiantly a good find. Clean, paint, E-Bay! More $$$ for your Pewter buddy. Lol

Geoff, what you have there are 1970 only valve covers for the hydraulic lifter 351C. Ford didn't start using the rocker arm mounted oil baffle until 1971. The 69 Boss 302 used a chrome version of that valve cover and the 70 Boss 302 and 71-72 "R" 351 used the aluminum covers with the baffles. I had a 6/70 built 70 Torino GT that had the 71 style valve covers with the rocker arm mounted baffles, so as usual there will always be some variances when changes are made at the end or start of a production year.

Defiantly a good find. Clean, paint, E-Bay! More $$$ for your Pewter buddy. Lol
 Wow, great info. Yes, I'll spend the time to do them right. Thanks for identifying them for me.

As there are several shades of blue, I'll leave them in prime so they can be matched to whatever engine they end up on.

Awesome help there my friend,

Geoff.

There are dripper fingers for the adjustable rocker set up, like in the Ausie motors.     both 71 and 72 R codes had them in the alum covers used on those car.

Mark

P.S.  It's kind of funny, people remove them for use of ROLLER ROCKERS......so there are "fingers" available.   (You wouldn't think that would be the case with a 40 year old parts removed.   (want to see?)
Yes!

Just to add to this, here are pictures of the rubber grommet off the right side cover, FoMoCo can be seen upper right. It's pretty hard now and likely unusable. I don't think this was ever reproduced exactly like this. I did find some listed with twist in locks, but not the same exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like was stated that was the valve cover you needed if your rockers do not have this stamping added to get the oil where it needs to go. See picture. The metal stamping that sits over the hole above the pushrod makes the oil lube the fulcrum. If you have these it is better than the baffle in the cover.

Like was stated that was the valve cover you needed if your rockers do not have this stamping added to get the oil where it needs to go. See picture. The metal stamping that sits over the hole above the pushrod makes the oil lube the fulcrum. If you have these it is better than the baffle in the cover.
 Thanks David, Learning every day!!  My 71 has the stamping in the rockers as you show. These were a set of V/covers I just picked up to help a young guy out, didn't need them, but he needed a bit of cash. Maybe I can make a buck on them later.

Geoff.

Latest posts

Back