Ignition Switch adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I had a link save previously for the ignition switch adjustment and cannot find it, can someone post the instructions for the ignition switch adjustment please? I installed a new switch about a year or so ago and it was always a little "off" and one of the comments that I received was to keep working it and it would "break in" or loosen up. I think I am at the point of attempting a readjustment for the switch. Currently I have to kinda turn the key back to the run position after the car starts and it is becoming a pain for others that may start it. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Tom

Well it took a few on and off adjustments but I think I finally got it. I adjusted it as Step 7 above stated to the mid position and still had the same issue with having to turn the key back a little after it started. After 3 or 4 times of pulling the switch back off to insert the wire to lock the plunger into the lock position, I decided to set the plunger at the first detent position, attach the rod and instead of finding the mid position of rod lash, I just pushed it upwards all the way and tightened down the nuts. I cranked it over and it did spring back into the run position on its own from the start position. Bonus is I can also turn the key rearward to the accessory position and turn the radio on. I was unable to get the lock cylinder accessory position working before. Thanks to Sheriff41 for posting the steps.

Tom

Back