Improved wiper motor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible, factory 302, disc brakes and A/C. Started to rebuild it all original but elected to go full tilt and rebuilt everything in the drivetrain, a/c, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
Does anyone here know of a manufacturer that has improved upon the original wiper motor? The wife and I were taking our car back to the builder for some work and the clouds opened up. The original wipers were way too slow in comparison to todays motor speeds. She was driving and had to slow down to around 35mph just to see. Somebody out there should have come up with an improvement by now.

Maybe it is just me, but I really think that the wiper blades are going way too slow to be effective, even on high speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not heard of or dealt w/ this . but for a crazy thought, what about lengthening or shortening the motor crank arm position and adding an intermittent option for a brain teaser ?:p

I don't know of any but RainX works well.
Ditto. Until someone comes up with a reasonably priced alternative.
Do you think that buying a new motor would solve my problem? My current motor is just too slow.

I took mine apart stripped it, cleaned it, painted it, greased all of the gears, then reassembled it, and it seemed to run much smoother and a little faster (not much but it worked fine)

and RainX is a huge +

Im surprised someone hadn't figured out how to retrofit a modern wiper motor.

You could take the motor to a rewinder and they can rewind to change the RPM. DC motors can be sped up by using fewer turns with slightly bigger wire to compensate for the increased load. Look for a starter alternator shop.

Rich

Back