Intake and Head Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Just got off the phone with a local guy who is selling some 71-73 mustang parts. He shot me a price on a complete top end set up from a 71 Mach 1. 4v heads, intake, 2 carbs (1 autolite and 1 motorcraft, and exhaust manifolds. Told me he would take $500 for the whole set up. Everything is complete on the heads as well. Thoughts? Is this a good price? I am currently running a completely stock 2v set up.

It's not a killer deal for the heads (depends on type/shape). But depending on the intake and carb you might have something desirable to someone trying to do an original restore. If you are looking for performance I would look to do a modern aluminum intake and carb.

The exhaust manifolds can be desirable to someone trying to do an original restore as well.

Careful with the exhaust manifolds... they are often cracked...

He is supposed to be getting me some pics today. The only reason I am considering this over keeping my existing heads and going with aftermarket intake and carb is these are the closed chamber heads and will up the compression considerably. I would like to find a set of Aussie 2v closed chamber heads but they are hard to come by.

If the heads are stock OEM, none of the moving parts should be reused. You are buying cores. The autolite and motorcraft carbs are good for restoration, not much for performance. If the intake is a near square bore intake, it is an OK piece but heavy. Chuck

If the heads are stock OEM, none of the moving parts should be reused. You are buying cores. The autolite and motorcraft carbs are good for restoration, not much for performance. If the intake is a near square bore intake, it is an OK piece but heavy. Chuck

And they should be checked for cracks as well before spending money on them.

Buy cores and have them built locally by someone reputable and who will stand behind their work.

Trick Flow PowerPort 190's. Around $1500, lighter, stronger (unbelievable low end 1500-6500 rpm), faster. New technology will awaken the beast. May sound like alot of money but by the time you get done doing what you SHOULD do to an old set of heads, there isn't much difference, if any. Even then, there is no comparison. Always remember you are not comparing the price to zero dollars, rather the comparison is to the alternative. Why pay good money to put a new skirt on an old whore.(unless you're doing a #'s matching restoration) IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with a local guy who is selling some 71-73 mustang parts. He shot me a price on a complete top end set up from a 71 Mach 1. 4v heads, intake, 2 carbs (1 autolite and 1 motorcraft, and exhaust manifolds. Told me he would take $500 for the whole set up. Everything is complete on the heads as well. Thoughts? Is this a good price? I am currently running a completely stock 2v set up.
I have a set of 4V heads I will sell for $100. not much demand now. The iron intakes are not in demand . I will sell you two for $50. carbs also not much demand cause after market much better. I checked out aussie 2v closed chamber heads a while back and could not find a piston that would make under 11:1 so gave up on that idea. I now have edelbrock alum cleve heads and edelbrock intake and edelbrock carb and runs very well. have to use a copper shim spacer to reduce CR.

Back