Intake Fit Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
351C 4v
Does anyone know what the carb pad height is for the Ford spread bore intake for the 73 CJ 4v, D3ZE-9425-AA either with or without the EGR plate? Pic is below.

I am trying to determine if I am one of the lucky ones that can fit a Blue Thunder manifold under my ram air set up. I know what the carb pad height for the BT is, and I know how much my current set up has to spare, but wondered if that measurement was known. My web searches haven't turned up anything.

Much appreciated,

Scott

D3ZE-9425-AA_02.JPG

Thanks John,

Looks like I'll need to get under the hood and try to measure without pulling the carb again. I know that question was pretty obscure. Figured it was easier to ask, than measure..... Thank you for the calculation formula.

Scott

Thanks John,

Looks like I'll need to get under the hood and try to measure without pulling the carb again. I know that question was pretty obscure. Figured it was easier to ask, than measure..... Thank you for the calculation formula.

Scott
If it helps I have the Ram Air with the BT intake in my 73. I have the 4V Q code too. Not sure if Carb heights are different though and could affect the fit. Look at this thread when I was trying to determine if this would work.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-ram-air-help--20045

So I measured the carb height as best I could today, and came up with the following:

A value is 3 3/8"

B value is 4 5/8"

Carb pad height per calculation is 4"

EGR spacer and two thick carb gaskets = 1" so effective carb pad height is 5"

The Blue Thunder manifold is advertised at 5 1/32" so it looks like it might fit. I took a video of the ram air rubber seal compression as I closed the hood and it just contacts the hood when it completely closes, so there should be a little more room to compress if needed.

One question. Do I need to run a spacer between the intake and carb with the BT to keep the gas in the carb from boiling off after it gets hot, or will a normal gasket be fine?

Thanks again for the info and help.

Scott

I would try to find/use a 1/4" manufactured wood or phenolic spacer. You should be fine.

Normal gasket should be fine. The Blue Thunder intake is a high rise manifold so carb is up a bit more & away from heat. I plan on putting one my engine with just a normal gasket. Many others have done this with no problems.

Back