Intake Manifold and Gaskets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
Well fiddling with the car yesterday, a 73 4 speed Q code, I noted vacuum leaks at the intake manifold gasket near the last two runners passenger side. The engine currently has an old Offenhauser 360 that the PO installed when he had it rebuilt 10 years ago (5K miles put on since rebuild). I suspect that current dual plane intakes are superior to the oldie. I note there is little out there to select from so I am thinking the Edelbrock Performer. The car does have ram air. The cam is a 218*/218*, 494"/494" Comp Cams unit, Carb is a 680 CFM Quickfuel and it has Hooker SuperComp headers. Is there a better manifold option for this combo? Also, what gasket set do folks recommend. I see Edelbrock recommends their's that blocks off the heat passage and removes the valley pan. Appreciate the advice.

The Offie 360° manifolds were a good manifold, and I'm not sure if the Edelbrock Performer is that much of an improvement. The Blue Thunder/Shelby intake is still considered to be a good manifold after 45 years. The Edelbrock Air Gap could be a nice improvement, but may not fit with ram air.

You don't have to use the turkey pan with the Offie manifold.

Fel-Pro Printoseal gaskets are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back