Interior rear trim pieces

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Okay need some Help!

I have a '72 mach 1 fastback. I'm redoing the interior. Installing headliner & sail panels. There is a trim piece that goes over the bottom of the sail panel & just above the package tray. Can't find my originals. The interior was pretty ragged when I got the car. I have been looking for the past several days and have talked to several suppliers. Seems like this panel is not available. Need some help to find either some used ones or a least a pattern so that I can make some. Someone usually comes through.

Thanks,

Desperate in Louisiana

Jimmy T.

Jimmy, you're correct the part you're looking for isn't available as a reproduction. I checked every where and Don from OMS posted a great recommedation on creating your own just a few days ago. My old plastic panels were sun warped so I used 1/8 type pressboard type material from Home Depot, cut my own, then used the same low profile carpet on my read deck (bought the low profile car carpet piece from Walmart for $8.00) to cover them. Used loctite spray adhesive to bond it to pressboard. Redoing my rear deck and replacing the the piece you're talking about cost me about $25.00 for everything.

panels1.jpg

Jimmy as a side note, Don had recommended possibly using headliner material to cover the part, I didn't have any so used the low profile carpet I had left over after doing my rear deck cover. I do believe the using the headliner material would look better but I didn't have any and just wanted to get it done. The carpet isn't the best but I figure as long as I don't spill to many beers on it, it'll hold out fine. The board I used it a Medium-density fiberboard (MDF)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy, you're correct the part you're looking for isn't available as a reproduction. I checked every where and Don from OMS posted a great recommedation on creating your own just a few days ago. My old plastic panels were sun warped so I used 1/8 type pressboard type material from Home Depot, cut my own, then used the same low profile carpet on my read deck (bought the low profile car carpet piece from Walmart for $8.00) to cover them. Used loctite spray adhesive to bond it to pressboard. Redoing my rear deck and replacing the the piece you're talking about cost me about $25.00 for everything.

Jimmy as a side note, Don had recommended possibly using headliner material to cover the part, I didn't have any so used the low profile carpet I had left over after doing my rear deck cover. I do believe the using the headliner material would look better but I didn't have any and just wanted to get it done. The carpet isn't the best but I figure as long as I don't spill to many beers on it, it'll hold out fine. The board I used it a Medium-density fiberboard (MDF)

Jim

Jim,

Any chance you made a pattern? Could use one.

Thanks,

Jimmy t.

Jim,

Any chance you made a pattern? Could use one.

Thanks,

Jimmy t.

I used the old warped ones as a template, probably not concours quality :cool: but it's 70's correct.

Back