Is it possible to find a current owner if I have the vin of a car at a show yearsago?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 88

Reaction score
Years ago I was at a car show and saw this really cool convertible and wrote down the vin number. Now I am looking for it hoping to find out who has it now in case its for sale. Does carfax tell you info like that for 71 model cars? Thanks!

As a former Treasury Investigator, I can tell you that ANYTHING is possible when it comes to finding information - - there are all sorts of data bases.

That having been said, I believe it will be difficult for the "average Joe" under the circumstances you cited. I understand that Marti can provide information on the original purchaser of a vehicle but supposedly, you will need the registration of the car to prove you currently own it. Still, you might want to call them and see if they will accommodate you.

If you can find the original owner, you may be able to go forward with your search.

BT

CarFax does not go back that far and they would not have the name of an individual anyway. The state motor vehicles will only give info to the current owner (past owner history) so you are basically SOL unless you pay a third party to submit the request for you but that can get pricey.

Most states have privacy limits and will not release current owner info.

As a former Treasury Investigator, I can tell you that ANYTHING is possible when it comes to finding information - - there are all sorts of data bases.

That having been said, I believe it will be difficult for the "average Joe" under the circumstances you cited. I understand that Marti can provide information on the original purchaser of a vehicle but supposedly, you will need the registration of the car to prove you currently own it. Still, you might want to call them and see if they will accommodate you.

If you can find the original owner, you may be able to go forward with your search.

BT

Back