Long time owner ...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 RamAir Conv, 351C 4v, 4-spd
2008 Calif Spl Conv
My first car was a 72 302 2v coupe, and it's where I cut my teeth. Made lots of dumb mistakes on it but learned from every single error (turns out you cant just put the wires on the distributor in any order...who knew). That was 1979.
Three years later, I found an M-code 351 in a wrecked Cougar Eliminator, and after the junk yard proved to me it ran, I bought it for $350...yup. Beat up on quite a few SS396's with my new setup! :)
In 1982, I get a job at a Mustang restoration shop. We did show cars and daily drivers. Tune ups, breaks, restorations ... you name it. We also watched for wrecked cars and bought them at auction so we'd have the clips/screws/etc you need to get a car fully restored. I kept my eye out for anything special for my car, and hoarded a lot (tilt wheel off a Cougar, power windows, etc). A fun job, and I got to drive some exotic stuff - 69 Boss 429, 70 Shelby Convertible (one of the last), and more.
In 2007, I went to restore my own car and it had too much rust. So, I bought a rolling chassis convertible, and that's been my project. It's now got a 4-speed, and a 9" rear, and I've put lots of the nice pieces in it. None of the numbers will match, and I don't care, but I want to keep it era-accurate, if that makes sense. Except for convenience things, like pointless ignition, I want to put as much 71-73 original stuff as I can on it. For instance, I swapped in the original gages instead of the idiot lights.
The last part is the body work, which is my project for the next several months and into 2024.

On a side note, I have a ton of research stuff I'll scan and post on here (full wiring diagrams, magazine ads from the early 70s, etc). Hope to meet you all as I get this car road ready.

Welcome from Texas and another long-time 72 convertible owner (46 years)! Nice intro and backstory. You'll find plenty of camaraderie, humor, and encouragement on this site. There are plenty of members on here very knowledgeable of these cars, along with those seeking expertise of others.
Post up some pics of your car when you can. Look forward to seeing you 'round the forums!

Welcome from Ohio. We all have made mistakes in our early years, some big, some small. Thanks for the background info and offering to post some of the material you have collected over the years. We are always looking for info on these great cars. You might want to check out the top of the page you will see 7173 Wiki. Under here you will find a lot of good information including full schematics of our cars. It may help you in deciding what you might want to post.

You get a few minutes, please post some pictures of your car. You may want to start a thread on your build so we can follow your journey.

Welcome from Chicago! We do like pics if you can post some please. I saved body work for last on my car, because I really don't like doing body work, lol.
I started a thread today in the Projects section ... so pics are going up there. Long way to go but I've started

Welcome from Texas and another long-time 72 convertible owner (46 years)! Nice intro and backstory. You'll find plenty of camaraderie, humor, and encouragement on this site. There are plenty of members on here very knowledgeable of these cars, along with those seeking expertise of others.
Post up some pics of your car when you can. Look forward to seeing you 'round the forums!
I started a thread today in the Projects section ... so pics are going up there. Long way to go but I've started

Welcome from Ohio. We all have made mistakes in our early years, some big, some small. Thanks for the background info and offering to post some of the material you have collected over the years. We are always looking for info on these great cars. You might want to check out the top of the page you will see 7173 Wiki. Under here you will find a lot of good information including full schematics of our cars. It may help you in deciding what you might want to post.

You get a few minutes, please post some pictures of your car. You may want to start a thread on your build so we can follow your journey.
Took your advice ... I started a thread today in the Projects section ... so pics are going up there. Long way to go but I've started

My first car was a 72 302 2v coupe, and it's where I cut my teeth. Made lots of dumb mistakes on it but learned from every single error (turns out you cant just put the wires on the distributor in any order...who knew). That was 1979.
Three years later, I found an M-code 351 in a wrecked Cougar Eliminator, and after the junk yard proved to me it ran, I bought it for $350...yup. Beat up on quite a few SS396's with my new setup! :)
In 1982, I get a job at a Mustang restoration shop. We did show cars and daily drivers. Tune ups, breaks, restorations ... you name it. We also watched for wrecked cars and bought them at auction so we'd have the clips/screws/etc you need to get a car fully restored. I kept my eye out for anything special for my car, and hoarded a lot (tilt wheel off a Cougar, power windows, etc). A fun job, and I got to drive some exotic stuff - 69 Boss 429, 70 Shelby Convertible (one of the last), and more.
In 2007, I went to restore my own car and it had too much rust. So, I bought a rolling chassis convertible, and that's been my project. It's now got a 4-speed, and a 9" rear, and I've put lots of the nice pieces in it. None of the numbers will match, and I don't care, but I want to keep it era-accurate, if that makes sense. Except for convenience things, like pointless ignition, I want to put as much 71-73 original stuff as I can on it. For instance, I swapped in the original gages instead of the idiot lights.
The last part is the body work, which is my project for the next several months and into 2024.

On a side note, I have a ton of research stuff I'll scan and post on here (full wiring diagrams, magazine ads from the early 70s, etc). Hope to meet you all as I get this car road ready.
It sounds like you are having fun with the newest project. Very cool. As for having made mistakes, as many other responders have already said, we all have. Some have turned out to be "happy mistakes," but the majority for me were learning experiences many other have gone through also - before there was an Internet for mortals to use.

I look forward to seeing photos and specs. We have several pony cars, to include a True Survivor 1973 Mustang Convertible. We have done some tasteful upgrades to it along the way. It is our least powerful pony car, but the one we enjoy driving the most due to its drop top capability.

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
It sounds like you are having fun with the newest project. Very cool. As for having made mistakes, as many other responders have already said, we all have. Some have turned out to be "happy mistakes," but the majority for me were learning experiences many other have gone through also - before there was an Internet for mortals to use.

I look forward to seeing photos and specs. We have several pony cars, to include a True Survivor 1973 Mustang Convertible. We have done some tasteful upgrades to it along the way. It is our least powerful pony car, but the one we enjoy driving the most due to its drop top capability.
Love the Shelby (both actually). At the Mustang shop I worked at a long time ago, one of the show cars we would detail prior to the show was one of the last Shelby's made ... a 1970 GT350 convertible. Yours reminded me of that one.
I started a project thread, so my work is officially in progress now. Thanks for sharing ... you have quite the collection!

Back