is my clutch slipping or what?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkai68kaXt0

first time out with the 521 and new clutch and this is what happened after 2 passes of some slipping and sliding and finally got the car to go straight (suspension was set up for the last build). the entire time the rpms wants to stay at 6000rpms the entire time almost where the rev limit is. at the end it started to grab though and it wasn't a lean condition because i was watching the fuel gauge on the glass the entire time.

thoughts?

Last edited:
http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00000632

first time out with the 521 and new clutch and this is what happened after 2 passes of some slipping and sliding and finally got the car to go straight (suspension was set up for the last build). the entire time the rpms wants to stay at 6000rpms the entire time almost where the rev limit is. at the end it started to grab though and it wasn't a lean condition because i was watching the fuel gauge on the glass the entire time.

thoughts?
Linky no worky

What disc and pressure plate are you running?

i'm using modern driveline clutch which is made by superior clutch. it is suppose to be custom made to my intended usage. its a kevlar/medal face disc and a strong clamping pressure plate. i got an email from him this morning and he is asking me if i got 500 city miles on it. i doubt that many miles will prevent what happened yesterday.

What disc and pressure plate are you running?

i'm using modern driveline clutch which is made by superior clutch. it is suppose to be custom made to my intended usage. its a kevlar/medal face disc and a strong clamping pressure plate. i got an email from him this morning and he is asking me if i got 500 city miles on it. i doubt that many miles will prevent what happened yesterday.
American Powertrain advised me on the 500 mile deal on my kevlar one also, this one does the first one was drove hard out of the box and lasted no time:mad:

Yes it sounds like it is slipping all the way down the track. It is especially bad on the gear changes.

It sounds like you and Roy found the culprit.

Make sure you have free play when the pedal is all the way up. What are you using for linkage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it sounds like it is slipping all the way down the track. It is especially bad on the gear changes.

Make sure you have free play when the pedal is all the way up. What are you using for linkage?
i'll get the car jacked up and readjust the clutch, and play speedy racer with the car on jack stands playing with all the gears so i'll get some kind of mileage that way in the driveway in no time.

however i hope it gets meshed together soon so i can start dialing her in. and www.moderndriveline.com guys didn't advise me to do a break in period with the clutch.

i'm using a cable clutch and its designed to have a LITTLE preload on the throwout bearing. maybe i got too much as well but i'll check.

i'm addressing another problem as well but i'll leave that for another thread.

Last edited:
well superior clutch said i need to put on more miles with the clutch since its a kevlar/metal set up and it takes longer to break in. he said i neeed to get agressive with it and try to make it slip on the street. he said one the video it started to grab at the end when the rpms dropped down to 4000rpms and then i started to pull, it started to finally break in.

he said i also need to release all of the preload on the clutch at the track or maybe i had too much to begin with. its kind of hard with the OEM pedal throw range. i might have to take out the rubber on the bumper stop to give it that extra 1/2 or so.

yup, i'll have to address that once i figure out whats going on with the motor now cuz i have two spark plugs that had the gaps closed.

Back