Is ram-air safe without twist-locks?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can all the time happen but there are riding a lot Mustangs for 30-40 year without issues, highway or not...

I mount the twist locks from Don to make it nice and complete.

One of our members had his standard hood lift off at 120. Forum search will bring up the photos.

Just saying. Doesn't need the NACA scoops to do it; an improperly adjusted latch will do just fine to let one go at the wrong moment.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have the entire ram air system, just the hood assembly with the flaps open, and no aircleaner peices. Also no twist latches.

Upon examination of the hood i can see that it is curved a bit steeper than the fenders are.

Perhaps this could be due to air flying into the engine bay at high speed for too long and putting in a slight bow??

Perhaps just shoddy body work.

(Judging from the 15-foot-at-best paint job lazy/sloppy inerior install and horrid mechanical work on the car when i bought it, i would guess the latter):dodgy:

Also, the OEM nasa hoods are well-known to have a mismatching bow in them as manufactured. Many csrs came from the factory with an adundance of shims under the center of the fender to compensate for this. It is fairly common.

When Dynacorn made thier repro version of the hood, they corrected this "flaw". They actually fit much better in this regard than the OEM units.

I dont have the entire ram air system, just the hood assembly with the flaps open, and no aircleaner peices. Also no twist latches.

Upon examination of the hood i can see that it is curved a bit steeper than the fenders are.
That's just means it's OEM and no shimming done.

Jim

...Now, after all that, I will say this:

There is no record or any documentation from Ford that I have ever seen that states that Ford did any actual real wind-tunnel testing on our Mach 1s during its development. The only wind-tunnel avaialable at the time was an aircraft company's (Lockheed, I think) and was very expensive to rent and could not be used fopr long periods of time. Chrysler used this tunnel and stopped after the costs became so exorbitant.

I strongly suspect that Ford simpy incorporated the design cues of aredynamics into thier styling without actually verifying thier real functionality.

The Kamm-back and the NACA scoops are two distinctive designs of our cars and both gave it a radically new and "leading edge technology" look when new.
That was his point...The design of the port is correct but he just simply stated it was in the wrong spot ....The older mustang with the ram air up front "right at the front" or up higher will ram air.....There is a dead air spot right where our year of scoops are...I was told "If people believe or not" It is a cold air induction..Not a true ram air.

Should be just fine...Really ram air does not put much "if any" air pressure in there....Our ram air ports are not close enough "Nor high enough" to the front of the car to get a real ram air action...It is more like a cold air induction..So no real air pressure gets in there in the first place...Now if our ram air vents where right on the nose..Or raised up much higher....then it would get some forced air...Our inductions are little tad better than a cowl induction.

Atleast that is how my cousin the Engineer decribed my ram air ports when i was talking about them..lol
Well I disagree with your cousin the Engineer - tell him to stick his head out the window while driving.

He can experiment with his mouth open and closed to simulate the flappers :D:D:D
Wow..really Don? All joking aside... I use to think just like you did "that plenty of air got in there" but that mite not be the case.

I was just making a joke

So now i ruffled feathers :huh:

Don's comment, while a bit inflammatory, is correct in the general sense. But you're dealing with a large opening, and an object far from the surface of the car. So it's not really valid in this context. What Kit posted is much more informative, because in general from a fluid dynamics stand point I'd be inclined to "wonder" (not make any real statements because that's complex geometry and fluid dynamics is tricky business) if they really did anything.

Kit, would it be possible for you to post where you found this information? I'd be really curious to read more about it.

In terms of the lack of hood pins and open ducts being dangerous? Well in theory that ducts would allow air to easily flow under the hood and out along the windshield, in theory, this could create some lift, because of the slightly shorter path. But I can't imagine it would be all that much, and certainly not enough to overpower the hood latch. In the example sighted above (the second not the first) I'd be more inclined to say he didn't quite latch the hood. As for "tearing" the latch from the lower support, there's no way these little openings are creating that much additional force, that sounds more like bad metal, or a piece of junk fastener.

But this is all speculation, I've only been an engineer for 3 years, and fluid dynamics in terms of flow over complex surfaces is not my forte. An Aeronautical Engineer might have better insights.
I was making a joke - nothing inflammatory here

Sorry if I offended anyone

Don, personally, no offense taken here, but I could see how it could be taken negatively.

I think we've all experienced that intonation and sarcasm are very hard to convey over written text (though the small armada of smileys following your statement should have been a clue!)

I suggest in the future including funny pictures. Always helps with the nature of the post!

video_the_italian_job_jeremy_clarkson_trailer_2010.jpg

Good thread here overall! Very informative stuff, and I think the basic takeaway for anyone is, there is always a risk of hood latch failure, hood pins can only help, but odds are you'd be okay without them if you opened the restriction plates up!*

*MechEng can not be held accountable for any damage that you, or your vehicle, should obtain due to the following of this advice. Anything that you do is with the expressed knowledge that you do so at your own risk!

Have-a-nice-day.jpg

Well I disagree with your cousin the Engineer - tell him to stick his head out the window while driving.

He can experiment with his mouth open and closed to simulate the flappers :D:D:D
Wow..really Don? All joking aside... I use to think just like you did "that plenty of air got in there" but that mite not be the case.

But this is all speculation, I've only been an engineer for 3 years, and fluid dynamics in terms of flow over complex surfaces is not my forte. An Aeronautical Engineer might have better insights.

I was not offended...Reason i said all jokes aside.But it did sound a bit harsh "online can be like that" .But i trust what he gots to say about it..he knows his stuff..I asked him about it..and he sent along some basic pics to show how air flows over cars...Fluid dynamics is something he had to learn...One of his teachers he learned under helped design the 104 starfighter...And he really did not want to get in a scuffle about 1970's ram air ports on a forum he does not use..lol...Plus he so busy at work took a few days for him to even respond...But our ram air is in the wrong spot and is pretty much a nice cold air intake....He said not like they are usless and they will get a HP increase from the cold air.

airflow.jpg

airflow2.jpg

airflow3.jpg

airflow4.jpg

What about the satin blackout treatment on the ramair hoods. Could this satin paint, be there to cause a fraction more turbulence as opposed to smooth gloss paint? Or am I just stretching the bounds of science fiction? Hehe

Well i dont think that matters unless at low low speed...He explained it too me like this...Faster you go, The more air is tring to get out of the way...You are pushing air out of the way...It hits the leading edge of your car and wants too bounce up and head to the windshield...Reason we see intakes on top fuel dragsters coming out the front windshield for the most part....our ports location are more for looks .."which they do look great"...and does work to help boost HP as a cold air intake.

What about the satin blackout treatment on the ramair hoods. Could this satin paint, be there to cause a fraction more turbulence as opposed to smooth gloss paint? Or am I just stretching the bounds of science fiction? Hehe
The reason for the flat black or satin black on the hood is to reduce sun glare from the hood: pure and simple. How many cars have you seen with a non-black satin hood treatment? The fact that it adds pizzazz to the car is secondary.

Latest posts

Back