"J " Code vert update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, it looks amazing, and I applaud you for your efforts in getting everything as correct as possible.  I wasn't trying to bash it at all.  I just see what I see in the pics.  I'm sure you're right, and seeing it in-person is a completely different story.

Something of interest I noticed, it looks like the factory paint was off just a tiny bit as well.  As you look top-down, there's what appears to be a slight difference between the passenger side and driver side of the radii around the duct openings (a tiny bit less "black" on the driver side than the passenger side - not from paint wear, either... the factory didn't get it perfect).  Could be camera weirdness, as well.

My apologies if I ruffled any feathers.
Well this is fun... 

With the factory applying the stencil slightly off centre to apply the blackout, as a result, there was a definite difference in how some of the measurements, appearances to the eye, etc were seen by the human eye. These hoods are very deceptive because of the unique lines created with the raised ram air portion of the hood. The raised portion of the hood is not a defined straight line measurement down the length of the hood, it changes (narrows) as you get closer to the NASA openings. Many hood blackouts are painted incorrectly because the painter pleasures at the top of the hood and carries this measurement down to the inserts. This is incorrect. In my case, to make matters worse, Moving the blackout off centre a touch as was done at the factory, has an additional ripple down effect on the final outcome of the overall blackout appearance. If I am understanding your latest defect noticed... I think I explained in an earlier comment that there definitely will be more black seen on one side of the hood (near the NASA insert openings) and the end result on the other side is a bit more blue. You can't make it perfect when you go off centre because of the hood configuration, it simply is not possible. A definite optical illusion in place here, we do our best to emulate the factory application. Trust me, I know what is right and wrong on my car and other people's cars as well for that matter. I choose to keep those viewpoints to myself unless asked for an opinion. I've pulled the pictures off to put this to bed moving forward and I won't be posting further updates here. I learned a long time ago that if you don't have something nice to say, don't... I'm done.

Ken, I'll say it again - I apologize for mentioning the things I saw in your pictures.  My comments were observations only - not meant to be degrading in any way.  I have a pretty good idea the lengths you're going to ensure the absolute most authentic restoration possible, and I can also certainly appreciate some of the frustration that comes in just putting these cars back together with a limited inventory of reproduction pieces, let alone to the level of restoration you're striving for with factory-correct and authentic parts.

I hope you'll accept my apology and continue to share the updates of your progress with the group of this rare and iconic 'celebrity' of the 7173 Mustang world.

Back