Jacked up my shoulder last night

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had that happen a few years ago when I fell on the ice in the driveway. It sounded like something broke and it hurt like crazy. I drove myself to the emergency room and my right shoulder hurt so bad that I had to shift gears with my left hand. The X-ray showed nothing and it healed by itself in a few months. Still once in a while when I pull a certain way I get a sharp pain that lasts a few minutes. I hope yours gets better.
Thats called getting old Fred:p

Well, I received bad news from the doc this morning. I have a 1cm x 1.5cm tear in one tendon, and a 0.8cm x 2cm tear in a second.

Surgery scheduled for March 19th... followed by 6-8 weeks in a sling, followed by 3-4 months of PT.

I only have surgery when the injury keeps me from accomplishing what I really want or need to do. :sUnfortunately, I have a lot to do. :) Getting old at 53 sucks! :mad: But is still better than not getting older at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear it. In my law practice I deal with a lot of clients that go through the same type surgery. While some people have had difficulty , most do exceptionally well. Listen to the doctor and the physical terrorist, but also listen to your body and talk to the doctor if your recovery isn't progressing according to plan. Best wishes and practice shooting with the weak hand.

Sleep is challenging, and I haven't even had the surgery yet. For the past 2 nights, I haven't slept for more than 30 minutes at a time... with an hour or 2 in between dozing for a short periods. It's maddening.

If you have a sling available, USE IT! You'll want your hand at your heart. Then use a fluffy couch pillow between your forarm and ribs. You should be able to find a place where the pain will be the least. Sleeping in a recliner is highly recommended.

UPDATE!

Found out today that if you do what they call "TOO AGRESSIVE ON YOUR PT" you get to start all over again. Seems I already retore the bicep from the screw and until he sees the MRI I'm having today he says probably more on the cuff as well. Surgeon is going to let me know next Friday when the surgery is scheduled.

Oh no... Man, that sucks.

It turns out my issues with sleep were not just discomfort. It seems that the stress ffrom my job, plus my aging father, and dealing with him spiraling into dementia, I could handle. But throw in the 5-week long anticipation of a painful surgery / recovery, and it threw me into an acute anxiety attack. New meds have me sleeping better now.

Good luck, Mark!

I had my first post-op visit today, six weeks after surgery.

Apparently, they found more extensive damage than the MRI first showed. I completely tore 2 of the four tendends, ripped the third & fourth a bit and had a near complete separation of the bicep. No wonder I couldn't mive my arm in any direction except one.

It ha been six weeks since surgery, and I am still not sleeping .ire than an hour at a time on average.

Today also marked my first say of PT... at least she is cute (hurt me, hurt me good! Make me wrire bad checks). LIL

Hang in there bud. I had the second surgery 1 month to the day when I re-detatched the bicep. Stay in the sling. Do as your told, and take the meds you need to stay comfortable and heal. Best advice I've got. Me, this was my first full week out of the sling and trust me I'm not ready to arm wrestle yet. But we'll get there.

I heard all kinds of horror stories about how painful PT is. It wasn't pleaseant (even with a cute therapist), but it wasn't anywhere near the pain I was thinking. Lots of stretching, and pushing into the pain, sort of like when your highschool football coach would put you through the ringer stretching before practices... but nowhere near the mobility and a little more pain.

The shoulder feels really good... a lot looser and less "tense" all the time.

So another update... About 8 weeks post surgery, and into my third week of physical therapy. Much better range of motion. I can get my affected arm up high enough to wash my hair with both hands.

The physical therapist is really starting to push thru the pain a lot... But she is young and cute, so I find myself fighting back the urge to say to her: "Hurt me... Hurt me real good... Make me talk like a baby and write bad checks...."

Oh, wait... What? Never mind....

All is good .... Move along. Nothing to see here.

So another update... About 8 weeks post surgery, and into my third week of physical therapy. Much better range of motion. I can get my affected arm up high enough to wash my hair with both hands.

The physical therapist is really starting to push thru the pain a lot... But she is young and cute, so I find myself fighting back the urge to say to her: "Hurt me... Hurt me real good... Make me talk like a baby and write bad checks...."

I'd say definetly feeling better. :p

Great to hear your doing a lot better. Sense of humor is great too! Be careful and don't through your back out next! :D

Back