just wondering {newer Fuse box}

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang fastback,{mine} 74 Chevy Nova {girlfriends car}
2001 Sunfire that is falling apart haha.
has anyone fit a newer fuse box in and how would you go at it. I have added a radio aftermarket tach and gauges and will install a line lock for the front brakes once I switch to disc brakes in front. I don't mind splicing into a wire but a new fuse box with lots of empty slots would work better I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep in mind the amperage limitation on the existing wires so you don't put in a higher-rated fuse than what Ford suggested.

Im not going to replace my existing box but I am going to add a 2nd box. I'm going to go by a junk yard and find an under the hood box that fits my needs to put in my car I know the ford boxes have both fuses and relays in them. Im adding a line lock, electric radiator fan, a transmission cooler with a fan, electric fuel pump... and dont want to splice into the existing box! Plus the relays will help out with the higher amp pulling devices like the fans and fuel pump! Also moving the battery to the trunk, building the Stainless Steel box for it now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the amperage rating that is why I don't want to splice into wires. And I have seen a second under hood fuse box {my GF's nova has one} that was the reason I asked the question. I just want to see what some of you might have done and HERE IS THE BIG ONE HAHAHA "HOW?" :-/

when I rewired the car, I bought 2 8 gang spade fuse boxes. That was enough to wire up every single circuit to its own fuse. This way, no system can take another down with it and it very easy to troubleshoot and fault find. Eg: horn relay is on a 10amp fuse and the horn power is on a separate 20amp fuse, etc

If your existing box is good I'd leave it alone and place a 2nd box under the hood! What I'll be doing is to run a separate feed from the + side of the Starter Solenoid to the new box and run all the accessoies that I'll be installing to it!

thanks for all the reply's guys. I'll bookmark this thread for when I'm ready to do this. I will probably get into that next summer. This year I just want to enjoy the rest of the summer driving the car hehehe.

Back