Justin's 1973 Mach 1 "Q" Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the Deluxe Marti Report today. I think the Ivy Glow paint and Avocado interior might be somewhat unique but we will see. Ivy Glow/C4 paint was new for 1973. I guess we will wait and see.
No you do not have to wait. I looked it up and according to Marti's book Mustang by the numbers I can tell you the following. Your color 4C is Ivy Bronze Metallic and the interior code of GG is only in the Mach 1 Sports Interior and they made 693 of them. You can find the books on Mart's web site or look on Amazon.

Well guys after tearing down the Cleveland down we found multiple issues. The guy that put the motor together had failed to torque multiple main and rod bolts. The 4MA crank was .030/.030 but seemed freshly cut. It does have new H555CP pistons and the bores are fresh accept the condensation flash rust from sitting up for years. The rod bolts will need to be changed to ARP. Needless to say I am glad we tore it down.

I picked up some parts from Craigslist. I paid $400 for a 4 bolt 351C block .030, a set of large valve 4V heads, the heads came with Crane stud conversion installed, and Comp 1.73 roller rockers. Along with the sale I got a Summit billet distributer, Moroso valve covers, Comp .080 wall chromoly push rods, and Eddy Torker intake. Yeh most of which will be sold to purchase needed parts.

I also recently purchased a 4MAB STD/STD crank from a guy in Detroit for $150. Eddie, the guy in Detroit, actually has more STD/STD cranks in his collection he wants to sell.

Please tell me what you think about the proposed build below for the daily driven 1973 Mach 1 for my son's first car. I know some will not like the 73 4V heads but I have been instructed by a few Cleveland guys that the small valves will actually help performance down low for daily driving and cruising.

Engine Plan: 357C w/9.25:1 compression (daily driven 350-375hp build?)

.030 block (decked .025)

4MAB STD/STD (fully polished and prepped)

D0AE rods with ARP fastners

Sealed Power H555CP flat top pistons

Balance rotating assembly

D3AE 4V open chamber heads

- Ferrea valves 2.08/1.65

- Crane Stud Conversion

- Comp Cams 1.73 roller rockers

- New guides, springs, locks, retainers, and seals

- .010 surface cut (possibly more depending on CC after polishing chambers)

- polish combustion chambers (help prevent detonation)

Howards Street Force 2 camshaft kit

-215/225 @ .050, 269/279 advertised, 513/536 lift, ICL 106, LSA 112

-1600-5400 RPM

Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake

Self learning EFI system (FiTech, EZ EFI, Holley sniper)

Exhaust Plan:

Hooker 4v headers w/1.75" or 1.875" primaries

Pypes stainless 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust

Transmission Plan: Non Electronic AOD for Fox body Mustang

AOD wide ratio conversion to 4R70W gears

2000-2200 stall

(Justin's car has 3.25 gearing with track lock)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the Deluxe Marti Report today. I think the Ivy Glow paint and Avocado interior might be somewhat unique but we will see. Ivy Glow/C4 paint was new for 1973. I guess we will wait and see.
Im in the same boat, friend.

4C - Ivy Glow Paint

GG - Avocado Interior

A month or so ago my son and I started removing components to ready the car for the body shop.

A month or so ago my son and I started removing components to ready the car for the body shop.

The car loaded up and headed to the body shop to replace the quarter panel.

The car loaded up and headed to the body shop to replace the quarter panel.

Quarter panel removal.

I have gathered engine components together for the 351 4V build. I have acquired a STD/STD 4MAB crankshaft, ARP rod bolts, Crane stud conversion kit, Comp roller rockers, Comp chromoly push rods, ARP head bolts, 2.08/1.65 Ferrea 5000 valves, and H series rod/main bearings.

Not sure where you are in the Southeast. but I just removed a nice clean gas tank from my car to fit a fuel cell.  I won't ship, I can't deliver, but if you are close to Nashville, I will give it away.
Jeff73Mach1,

Dang dude I may have to take you up on that. Where are you in Nashville. I have family in Murfeesburo.

I'm in Madison, just north of town. From Murfreesboro, without traffic it's about 45 minutes. I can take a picture for you, but it is pretty nice. Only thing I don't like on it is the prior owner clearcoated the bottom side and there are runs in the clear coat that make it look like it is leaking. They can be removed with a good paint stripper, but I just pulled it 2 weeks ago for a fuel cell install. Send me a private message and I'll give you my number if you wish to discuss

BTW-good job on the kid, mine would have a hard time changing a light bulb without a you tube video

The trunk pan is removed and prepping to reinstall new metal.

The body shop made some head way on the car recently. They removed and replaced the tail light panel, trunk pan, and passenger quarter panel.

I dropped off the motor to get the rotating assembly balanced, ARP bolts installed in OEM rods, surface the block, finish hone the block, vat and clean, install freeze plugs and cam bearings.

I bought a new hood for the project.

I installed the Comp Cams hydraulic roller and double roller timing set. The cam is a custom ground HR that specs: 275/281 advertised , 224/230 @ .050, 569/578 lift with 1.73 rockers, and lobe separation of 110. I have recently acquired a set of D0AE-N quench heads. The static compression should be around 9.7:1 after I unshroud the valves.

058.jpg
[/url

Back