Knock..Knock...Who's There?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks David!!!

Tim,

I know you are in AZ I would keep looking for a good block. I turned down two 351 H code blocks with cranks, rods and pans std. bore for $100 each on one of my parts buying trips. The two bolt main blocks do not bring much even thought they are exactly the same as the 4 bolt just not machined for the 4 bolt caps. I doubt I could sell one here is why I did not buy. It is like 289 nobody needs one here so very cheap. I say that but if I had to have one the prices would go up, lol.

So if time allows you to do some shopping you might find an engine and other parts you need from one seller. Get on cl and do some searching before buying quick.

My 72 Q vert only cost $5,500 with a newly rebuilt engine, never fired, on the engine stand, MSD, one piece valves, roller rockers, headers, etc. and new rebuilt C-6 along with the car, ram air and tons of parts. Of course the engine was way overbuilt from my taste so I will tear down and remove the hot cam and triple valve springs for sure. Some would say that was a lucky find but it was on cl for over 2 months with no interest. If I was going to go for speed I would not build one of these cars I would get a Pinto or Maverick. Lightest body I could find. Roush ran a Maverick back in the day for that reason. If I wanted a little stiffer body I would go with a 1984 - 86 SVO and fill the engine bay.

Take your time and the engine will come to you. Never believe anyone when they tell you an engine is completely rebuilt.

What he said!

Since the 4V heads breathe very well at high RPM, the designers upgraded the strength of the block with 4-bolt main caps anticipating that owners would use the engines accordingly. However, there were plenty of 4V Clevelands built without 4-bolt blocks...

My opinion here: you need to be clear and honest with yourself about what you are looking for out of your car.

What do you want?

What he said!

Since the 4V heads breathe very well at high RPM, the designers upgraded the strength of the block with 4-bolt main caps anticipating that owners would use the engines accordingly. However, there were plenty of 4V Clevelands built without 4-bolt blocks...

My opinion here: you need to be clear and honest with yourself about what you are looking for out of your car.

What do you want?
Exactly. Well said. What do you want to do with the car?...then build the engine to do it.

Back