KYB Gas-A-Just vs KYB Excel-G

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
A couple of years ago, I installed the Gas-A-Just shocks for the Mustang application. The ride is a bit stiffer than I'd like and considering moving to the Excel-G version. I'm kinda irritated with KYB for this mismatch on length.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have experience with these shocks.

1. If you switched from the Gas-A-Just (PN KG4504) to the Excel-G (PN 343156) are you happy with the swap?
2. I also have the Gas-A-Just on the rear. I'd like the softer ride from the Exel-G, but I also have been happy with the lack of wheel hop...I have old school Lakewood traction bars as well. If you swapped over to the softer shock, did you change both front and rear? Did rear wheel behavior, as it relates to hard acceleration, change at all? Should I expect it to change?

A couple of years ago, I installed the Gas-A-Just shocks for the Mustang application. The ride is a bit stiffer than I'd like and considering moving to the Excel-G version. I'm kinda irritated with KYB for this mismatch on length.

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have experience with these shocks.

1. If you switched from the Gas-A-Just (PN KG4504) to the Excel-G (PN 343156) are you happy with the swap?
2. I also have the Gas-A-Just on the rear. I'd like the softer ride from the Exel-G, but I also have been happy with the lack of wheel hop...I have old school Lakewood traction bars as well. If you swapped over to the softer shock, did you change both front and rear? Did rear wheel behavior, as it relates to hard acceleration, change at all? Should I expect it to change?
Excel G is the replacement for the old KYB GR2.
I have heard some guys like the Gas-A-Just up front with GR2/Excel G in back. The softer shock may work better with the lower spring rate in the rear.

Back