Learning as I go - Mystery components - what are they?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fresh air setup was part of the NOx Emissions system for 1972. It was designed to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions by providing a more stable inlet air temperature to the carburetor. Typically it's only seen on certain California DSO cars. In 1973, all Mustangs were equipped.

The flex tube connecting the snorkel and the air duct can be difficult to find.
Jeep parts supplier has one that works. I got the PN from this site. I can look it up, about $25

Interesting, so if I understand you correctly, normally there's only one connection in this area. And that the line going to the shock tower is likely a past remnant and not used anymore. It was the original fuel line but replaced with a new fuel line?

Interesting, so if I understand you correctly, normally there's only one connection in this area. And that the line going to the shock tower is likely a past remnant and not used anymore. It was the original fuel line but replaced with a new fuel line?
That's my guess based on your description and pictures. I looked at my 72, which still has all the original fuel lines, for a reference. It is routed as I described. Since your car runs, and we can see the hose is not connected in the original routing, something has been altered.
This is not unusual on fifty two year old cars. You just need to find out how it's been changed and decide if it's safe and do you want to leave it that way. You can always put it back to original with a little work and expense should you decide to.

Pic of fuel line coming up from chassis rail and disappearing thru rear fender apron:20220826_063933.jpg

Sorry, but this post is going all over the place and getting hard to follow one thing at a time.
Going back to the fuel line question; here are a few pics of my car from when I pulled the motor and do an engine bay clean up. These pics are of the original untouched engine bay. I marked the "IN" hose in red and the hose to motor in green. I don't have a pic of it going through the shock tower unfortunately.
If you replace all the fuel lines, go with SS from NPD or other suppliers. The rubber hose can be bought at your local parts store, but make sure it is "FUEL INJECTOR" grade hose as it's somewhat ethanol resistant. Also use ONLY fuel line clamps, NO gear clamps unless it's just for setting up.

Attachments

• IMG_2856.1.JPG
    IMG_2856.1.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2861.1.JPG
    IMG_2861.1.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2835.1.JPG
    IMG_2835.1.JPG
    798.4 KB · Views: 2
Hey - my fault on the wandering thread - I didn't expect any of the topics to be lengthy but I'll avoid misc. topic posts in the future.

The pictures are very helpful thanks. I now understand that the shock tower is essentially a pass through to get the fuel line to the front of the engine. I think the only difference is that in my vehicle the fuel line goes directly to my fuel filter behind the engine. Seems like an innocent enough change by the previous owner unless the position of the fuel filter is critical.

Hey - my fault on the wandering thread - I didn't expect any of the topics to be lengthy but I'll avoid misc. topic posts in the future.

The pictures are very helpful thanks. I now understand that the shock tower is essentially a pass through to get the fuel line to the front of the engine. I think the only difference is that in my vehicle the fuel line goes directly to my fuel filter behind the engine. Seems like an innocent enough change by the previous owner unless the position of the fuel filter is critical.
Yeah, no problem really on wandering. It just helps us old folk follow along!!
In actuality, there is not a filter between the tank and the carb other than that on the sender in the tank.
On my car, a PO had installed a filter between the fender apron and the fuel pump. As this is an easy place to access it and it doesn't seem to interfere with fuel flow, I chose to leave one in place there. I also didn't like the way the original steel line from the pump to carb looked, so I made up my own using 3/8" steel fuel line material. I do NOT like to see rubber fuel hoses going to the carb and more importantly, GLASS filters are a big no-no.
Here are a couple of pics of the engine line. I have a 4 V engine and a Holley carb and used a steel connector between front and rear fuel bowls. This carb has internal sintered bronze filter at the inlets.
Note the short rubber tube at the pump, intended to reduce vibration. Also a min of 1" clearance between engine and line.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Back in the day I never messed with the fuel lines...I knew the fuel line came into the engine bay but either forgot or never knew it then went back out thru the shock tower.

Back