Learning as I go - Mystery components - what are they?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I just started assessing my recent purchase of a 72 Mach and am working to understand a few things that are a bit of a mystery to me. I'm not super mechanical but hoping working on this fun dream car will be a good way to learn some new hands on skills. First question - what is this air duct that was mounted under my battery tray that wasn't connected to anything. My guess is that it may be a fresh air intake or perhaps connect with a hose to the air filter? I was pretty proud when I figured out what the heck a charcoal canister was but this has me stumped!

Attachments

• IMG20240316164220.jpg
    IMG20240316164220.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3
You’re right, it was part of the air cleaner. A hose from the air cleaner connected to that metal duct. Lots of time, over the 50 years, the battery above causes that metal mounting part to rot away. So that’s two things you got right.

Thanks! I guess the question is whether its needed or not? Most of the engine pictures I see do not have any hose connected to the air cleaner. They just go straight to the engine compartment. On a related topic - is the charcoal canister connection to the air cleaner needed? I have that part missing. The hose from the fuel tank is in place but that is all that is connected to the canister.,

Attachments

• 1972-ford-mustang-mach-1-351-cleveland (6).jpg
    1972-ford-mustang-mach-1-351-cleveland (6).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240316120142.jpg
    IMG20240316120142.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
I don’t think you need it. But, I would get the metallic/cardboard flex hose that connects the canister to the air cleaner. Otherwise, you’ll have fuel fumes in the engine compartment and the garage. Search the site for this hose; I’m sure I read about it in the last 6 months.

I found the metalicy flex hose for the charcoal canister online for sale - good point. I think I'll follow others cues and pass on the air filter hose intake. Not sure what that would do because there is plenty of air flowing around the engine. Thanks!

The fresh air setup was part of the NOx Emissions system for 1972. It was designed to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions by providing a more stable inlet air temperature to the carburetor. Typically it's only seen on certain California DSO cars. In 1973, all Mustangs were equipped.

The flex tube connecting the snorkel and the air duct can be difficult to find.

Thanks for the background! - yes, I'm digging into the manuals and the reproduced assembly manuals are amazing.

The fresh air setup was part of the NOx Emissions system for 1972. It was designed to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions by providing a more stable inlet air temperature to the carburetor. Typically it's only seen on certain California DSO cars. In 1973, all Mustangs were equipped.

The flex tube connecting the snorkel and the air duct can be difficult to find.
The flex tube from the charcoal canister, you can get a 3 foot length from NAPPA in aluminum and cut to length. Then this is where I got creative. I spray painted mine with some "texture" paint, like that used in the trunk, then top coated that with flat black. It look just like the original at a fraction of the price...... and I do mean "fraction".

EDIT: Ooops, I totally had a brain fart! You were talking about the "inlet fresh air duct" tube. WTF was I thinking......... other than replying to the wrong post.
But having said that the tube for the charcoal canister is good advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
New mystery component - I see end of a loose 'hose' around the area of the brake fluid reservoir. Any idea what is was used for? See highlighted circle. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_124013.jpg
    IMG_20240316_124013.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1
It's a fuel filter. No idea why it would be there. Is the hose it's connected to attached to anything at the other end? Can you pull it out of there? It may have just fallen down there and forgotten.

Thanks - I'll start working my way back on the hose to see where it leads (if anywhere)

The hose fitting that may be used for a fuel filter goes into the side of the engine bay. It is hard to see where it goes beyond there. I don't see a fuel filter that is obvious around my motor so I'm not sure how this can just have an open port without being capped off etc. I got a better picture of both ends that I can see.

Attachments

• IMG20240318113313-EDIT.jpg
    IMG20240318113313-EDIT.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1
That hose with the filter stuck in it looks like it goes down to the fuel line. The fuel line comes up along the frame rail, into the wheel well and pops thru the fender apron.
Which begs two questions...does the car run? If it does, track the fuel line from the carb to the pump (lower drivers side of the motor) and then see where it goes. Someone may have bypassed the oem fuel line.

Thanks - yes it does run - sounds like a new line may have been run. I need to track it down.

I traced my way back from the carburetor and found the fuel filter and fuel line entering the side of the engine compartment so I think the internal fuel line is being used. There are two entries near that space though. The fuel line entry is closer to the cab and facing directly outward and the other mystery line faces a bit forward which is approximately 8 in forward from the fuel line. Still not sure what it is but I can confirm it's not the fuel line.

Tank vent line to charcoal cannister?

I figured that earlier out but that's on the passenger side. The connection in my picture is on the driver side.

The hard fuel line comes through the panel below the master cylinder, as shown in your second picture. The rubber hose should connect that line to another hard line forward of the master cylinder, that exits through the rear of the shock tower. It may be your fuel line has been rerouted to bypass the original fuel line.

Back