Leather wrapped steering wheel...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really thought the leather wrap closely matched the wheel color?

Might be worth further investigation.  Maybe a 73 brochure might show?

Ray
CORRECTION:  I was completely wrong! Maybe I was thinking of the other Fords 73 and later.

Anyway here is text from the 73 Mustang brochure:

"Leather Wrapped 2-Spoke Steering Wheel Plush black leather wrapping around the trim. Sewn together with a line hidden stitch. Combines a soft touch with a firm grip"

Ray

Ray, I've learned to never say never! Lol    

The 73 brochure specifies black leather when describing the option. I don't have my 73 order guide (Out of town for Thanksgiving) but I believe it states the same. When looking at the MPC for the part number it states to use black for all trim codes. That's why I never understood why colors were not offered for a Pinto sourced part that was offered in colors.

Ray do you remember if the Maverick was still being built at Dearborn in 73? The 73 Maverick offered different color leather wheels and a Mustang could have received an assembly line workers  freshly smoked, joint induced decision to put "Whatever" in the car!    :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive seen a 73 montego gt with a black leather wrap on black wheel and a 78 ranchero GT with a red leather wrap on a red wheel. Maybe a handful of 73 mustangs and cougars with the leather wrap but not enough of them to remember if they matched the wheel color or not. A rare option.

I think mine might be original. David would know better that I. Here is a photo.

John do you have a pic of what that steering wheel looks like from the underside between the column and the wheel?

Mine is missing some type of trim on the backside I think.

Tia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back