Lights won't turn on

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super-Mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1978 Ford F-250
My side identicator lights and taillights won't turn on when I turn them on.

Is there a common fix for this?

Or is it a fuse?

if when you press the brake the lights also do not come on then i would suspect the taillight harness.

the tail light harness runs down the drivers side rocker. pull foot kick plate on the driver's side under the dashboard in the footwell. next unscrew the metal rocker panel carpet plate that has the ford logo on it.

pull off the plate, pull back the carpet there may be a cardboard cover underneath. lift that up and you should see the tailight harness wires. there are 2 or 3 connectors that run from there under the dash board check the connectors now that harness also feeds the domb light inside the car, is that turning on?

that harness also gets the fuel tank sender signal is your fuel gauge working?

Side marker lamps and night running lights share the same signal (which originates from the headlight switch and not the fusebox). This is a brown wire. I've found the factory OEM splice is often bad, located just upstream of the left tail-light breakout. You can try tugging on the various 5 or 6 brown wires coming from this splice, but that often doesn't solve the problem. Do you have 12V at the tail-light connector to the main harness when the headlight switch is pulled out all of the way?

if when you press the brake the lights also do not come on then i would suspect the taillight harness.

the tail light harness runs down the drivers side rocker. pull foot kick plate on the driver's side under the dashboard in the footwell. next unscrew the metal rocker panel carpet plate that has the ford logo on it.

pull off the plate, pull back the carpet there may be a cardboard cover underneath. lift that up and you should see the tailight harness wires. there are 2 or 3 connectors that run from there under the dash board check the connectors now that harness also feeds the domb light inside the car, is that turning on?

that harness also gets the fuel tank sender signal is your fuel gauge working?
+1

Latest posts

Back